Premed 101 Forums

E-MCAT Anyone?

bane

Hey all,

i was wondering if the e-mcat site is like a flash plugin kind of program that you have to log in and register with and use when online.

or

can you download it like an exe file or something and run it on your computer without having to stay connected to the website?

has anyone tried the e-mcat? too bad its not paper based so you can look for pdf's of old versions and download them :o

thanks for the reply DrCave.

so was it all online? can you dowload it? (in case it isnt obvious, i'm trying to get a hold of them in the same way AAMC paper tests have gotten around:eek: ).

how much did you have to pay to register and take the test online? hope thats not personal. if it is, please just PM me. thanks!

3R is free, but the rest of the tests are $35. I decided that the difference was not worth the $35, so I'm just prepping with the old long paper tests, though I MIGHT buy 1 computer one.

There is a way to get 3R printed out on paper, when you go there, it gives you the option (I haven't tried it though, so I don't know how exactly it's done). So I presume the same can be done with the other tests.

I used the tests after studying to help me know where I needed more work. It was all online and it breaks down the scoring according to subject area which really helps. It also gives you your percentile rank for each section and overall which is a good confidence booster.

3R is free, but the rest of the tests are $35. I decided that the difference was not worth the $35, so I'm just prepping with the old long paper tests, though I MIGHT buy 1 computer one.

There is a way to get 3R printed out on paper, when you go there, it gives you the option (I haven't tried it though, so I don't know how exactly it's done). So I presume the same can be done with the other tests.

so then is 3R CBT the same as the paper based one? if it is, then i guess the others may be also.

if thats the case, it might be easier to just do the tests in pdf on your computer screen.

so then is 3R CBT the same as the paper based one? if it is, then i guess the others may be also.

if thats the case, it might be easier to just do the tests in pdf on your computer screen.

Well, it's shorter - the old paper ones had 77 PS questions, and current CBTs have 52, for example. So for someone with major timing issues, it may be best to invest into a few CBTs to get the hang of the real thing. Otherwise, it's just about getting used to the format, and I think that can be accomplished with the 3R CBT alone. The content and type of questions can be studied from either paper or CBT.

I used the tests after studying to help me know where I needed more work. It was all online and it breaks down the scoring according to subject area which really helps. It also gives you your percentile rank for each section and overall which is a good confidence booster.

Yeah, but I have to admit that based on my 3R experience, there were NO surprises. I knew I had a slightly weaker understanding of waves, optics, and pH/acid-base stuff and of circulatory/homeostatic systems, and guess what - those were the questions where I had below 75% correct. So my personal experience was that my predictions in regards to my strengths/weaknesses were on the spot.

thanks for the info guys.

i was comparing the given AAMC 3R emcat online with a pdf of 3R i had from before. it seems that the 3R online now is the same as the 3R of old-- the only thing they did was slash questions here and there so that the total number of questions is what it should be.

so for example, if PS was 77 before, they cut 2 (i think) passages and a few discretes to shave it to 52 questions.

so, if you have the old AAMC tests (3-9R), that will get the content down WITH THE EXACT SAME QUESTIONS AND EVEN QUESTION ORDER, but for format and getting used to doing it on screen and with the goofy next buttons and other features, you'd have to do it online.

note: i can say this for sure about 3R, but for the other tests, i cant say, though i would bet its the same situation.

hope this helps anyone out.

Archived