Premed 101 Forums

Practicing in Canada vs USA

Hey there,

The US income tax rates are certainly nice, although given that most Canadian provinces permit doctors to incorporate once practicing, Canada is a little more attractive, tax-wise.

Our cities tend to have fewer guns, although I read/hear that's changing. :(

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The biggest pro, in my opinion having trained in the US, is that you don't have to deal with multiple insurances. It is very stressful in the states when you can't refer someone because they don't have insurance or, that your consultant doesn't deal with a type of insurance.

I know that malpractice insurance is a huge deal in the US. A lot of people I know say that practicing in canada is like taking both a cut in pay and a cut in the headaches and stress associated with practicing.

But im sure some specialties (neurology) would probably be much more stressful than other disciplines. also, what about if you are a doctor mainly involved in clinical trials/medical research? are you also less likely to have to deal with the stress that comes with the primary care aspects of the job?

one of pros of the states is that they have a lot more positions in certain subspecialties, for example some interventional subspecialties. I see much more pros to practicing in canada, except quebec. there are a lot of cons of practicing in quebec (horrible provincial governments, PREMs that dictate where you can practice and at what salary, lowest salaries in canada, overworked doctors, shortages,the list goes on). I know these problems exist elsewhere but they seem to be much worse in quebec. the only pro to practicing in quebec is living in montreal which is by far the best city in north america (c'mon, we have the best bagels, smoked meat, nightlife, you name it).

a lot of my classmates want to practice in the states because of the higher salaries. although this may be the case at the moment, things are changing for doctors practicing in the states and there are a lot of health care reforms going on/will be going on. insurance (both malpractice and dealing with insurance companies as mentioned above) and constant fear of being sued are two other major CONS. as i mentioned above, the big pro for me is that there are more subspecialty training programs for continuing education in the states

miss_sunshine is right about more jobs in some specialties (ie. interventional cardiology)... but I will only work in the US if I have to... would put in a few years at an undesirable Canadian centre before I'd head south of the border.

I know a few staff docs who have worked or trained in the US. I don't think I'd like being in such a litigenous environment where your primary concern is often not getting sued (vs. actually helping the patient). Also, as mentioned, malpractice insurance is high, and I don't know if I'd want to be a part of a healthcare system where the standard of care is so different for the insured/uninsured.

I know of a study that found that the majority of Canadian docs who went to work south of the border ended up returning to Canada to practice.

Thats a good point, but I have also heard that a lot of people just go down, work for a while and make money then come back and practice in canada because they enjoy the lifestyle here better

• 3 weeks later...

Archived