Premed 101 Forums

Med-P interview invites have been sent out...

MedPen

I feel like I'm missing something. Are you talking about interview invites for college applicants?

Yes I am and I'm also talking about how stupid I feel:(

Never knew rejection, even when you're mentally prepared for it, could hurt so much!

One of life's lessons, I suppose.

Yes I am and I'm also talking about how stupid I feel:(

Never knew rejection, even when you're mentally prepared for it, could hurt so much!

One of life's lessons, I suppose.

But isn't McGill known for being strict CRC wise (they accept people with 36 +)? I might be wrong on this one though.

Ya they do have high standards but it still sucks when ur dreams are crushed albeit temporarily.

Yeah.. but didn't you receive interview invites from the French universities? Or did you particularly want to be admitted to McGill?

Yeah.. but didn't you receive interview invites from the French universities? Or did you particularly want to be admitted to McGill?

I got rejected from UdeM without an interview. I missed the cutoff by about 0.1. Ughhh! So, having been rejected from UdeM, I guess the McGill no invite situation shouldn't be a surprise but a rather unpleasantly, expected event.:(

I know that it's hard getting a rejection but not everything is lost. You are still young and there is still hope for getting into med school. You can finish a bachelor's and then reapply again. Sure there are extra hoops to jump through but if you truly want to become a doctor, then you'll get there even if it takes a few more years. You'll have an amazing time in undergrad and you will have the oportunity to do and see so much that you probably won't get the chance to do if you enter med school right away through med-p. Doing an undergrad really reinforced that I wanted to go to med school and I think that if i had the opportunity to do med-p instead, i would have been unhappy (although back when I was at your stage, it seemed as if all my dreams were crushed when i didn't get into med-p).

(although back when I was at your stage, it seemed as if all my dreams were crushed when i didn't get into med-p).

Thanks miss_sunshine for the comforting words. I know it's not the end of the world but I can't help but feel jealous of my friends who got interviews and I'm usually not a jealous person.

It is good to know though that ppl who got rejected from med-p did eventually get in. And I suppose you're right, undergrad can be a lot of fun. Who knows what I'll encounter during these three years? Ahh the excitement of the unknown:p

I got rejected from UdeM without an interview. I missed the cutoff by about 0.1. Ughhh! So, having been rejected from UdeM, I guess the McGill no invite situation shouldn't be a surprise but a rather unpleasantly, expected event.:(

What was the cutoff at?

The cutoff was 33.619.

I blame everything on the terrible mark I got in organic.

I hate it when one or two classes destroy your CRC. Even though mine isn't all that bad, it wouldn't had lowered if it wasn't for classes like English and Philosophy. But hey, what's done is done.

I hate it when one or two classes destroy your CRC. Even though mine isn't all that bad, it wouldn't had lowered if it wasn't for classes like English and Philosophy. But hey, what's done is done.

In my case, it's the opposite. English, humanities, and complementaries raised my crc and physics raped it while organic chem beat it over the head with a hammer.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your crc?

In my case, it's the opposite. English, humanities, and complementaries raised my crc and physics raped it while organic chem beat it over the head with a hammer.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your crc?

Right now, it's at 34,901. But I began with 36,812 so yeah, I lowered by one point each semester. But it's like 35 so everything should be alright CRC wise ( I hope I'm right).

crc is what i hated about cegep where you are forced to take a bunch of classes that you are not interested in at all and it's difficult to maintain a high crc because it depends on the class average as well. in undergrad, it is much easier to get and maintain a high gpa because the GPA system is much more forgiving than CRC and you aren't taking classes in english, humanities, and all of that if you don't want to. At mcgill, as that is needed to receive a 4.0/4.0 GPA is an 85% in a class. This is easily doable, mainly in the sciences if you put in some work. don't despair, I think that everyone I know that was rejected (pre or post interview) for med-p got in after an undergrad (at least those who chose to continue on the med path). the hardest part is the MCAT but if you study well for it ahead of time, it is not that horrific. keep in mind that you can still apply for french med schools while in undergrad and also after undergrad, you have many more options in terms of applying ot med schools (US and other provinces)

miss_sunshine: That sounds very reassuring. 85% does not sound impossible, quite feasible actually if I put in the hours. Also, you're very right, it is extremely annoying to have the crc depend on the class. In my opinion, all that should matter to medical schools is how well I did not how well everyone around me did.

Redux: With a CRC that high, I don't think you'll have a problem :) Which cegep are you at?

miss_sunshine: That sounds very reassuring. 85% does not sound impossible, quite feasible actually if I put in the hours. Also, you're very right, it is extremely annoying to have the crc depend on the class. In my opinion, all that should matter to medical schools is how well I did not how well everyone around me did.

Redux: With a CRC that high, I don't think you'll have a problem :) Which cegep are you at?

I'm at Edouard-Montpetit, it's obviously a french college. What about you?

At mcgill, as that is needed to receive a 4.0/4.0 GPA is an 85% in a class. This is easily doable, mainly in the sciences if you put in some work.

Don't give people false hopes, miss sunshine. A 4.0 GPA can be very very difficult depending on your major (it's never ever easily doable). But you can get very close to it if you work hard enough. I pretty much did, but that didn't help me get in, there's the MCAT and other things. But you'll have more options with a bachelor's degree in terms of schools.

What's more, you'll learn a lot in the next three years both as scientific knowlege and for life. So don't worry, it'll be three not-so-bad years and then another shot at it.

Don't give people false hopes, miss sunshine. A 4.0 GPA can be very very difficult depending on your major (it's never ever easily doable). But you can get very close to it if you work hard enough. I pretty much did, but that didn't help me get in, there's the MCAT and other things. But you'll have more options with a bachelor's degree in terms of schools.

What's more, you'll learn a lot in the next three years both as scientific knowlege and for life. So don't worry, it'll be three not-so-bad years and then another shot at it.

I don't think Miss Sunshine is giving ppl false hopes. Sure, a 4.0 GPA isn't easy to obtain but it seems that compared to the crc, it might be more attainable as it only depends on your grades and not those of others. Furthermore, there is greater flexibility in the subjects one can take so personally, I'm staying so far away from physics that physics and I will be in different postal codes.:D

Hey Medpen!

I just want to say that you should not get discouraged by this rejection. I know it's not fun but 1/2 of students from the med class at McGill have an undergrad background. However, having a good GPA is hard also. In some classes, your mark is also based on the class (especially in humanities where there is quotas for some marks, ex: 4 As, 20 B+, 100 B, 100 B-, 30 C, etc. so a teacher will have to compare each paper to give marks...). I must admit that science wise it is much easier to get good marks in University than Cegep.

I went through the MEDP program and I can tell that a lot of my friends that did an undergrad got a very good experience from it. I, personally, liked the premed year (it is basically 1 year as an undergrad in science). I found that the 4 science classes I got (which were basic sciences classes: physiology and molecular biology) were very easy compare to what I did in Cegep, I got 97-100 in all 4 and did not study as much as I did in cegep (10x less). However, I had other classes that were easy, this is where it gets tricky. You'll have to balance your classes, still keeping your course load as required. I'm sure there are many med students with an undergrad background that will be please to help you out in choosing your courses, etc. There is also the MCAT, but I heard that it is not as bad as it looks like :)

Good luck, don't worry you still have many chances to get in :)

Gab

Getting rejected from Med-P after being interviewed was the best thing that ever happened to me. I learned so much during my undergrad and I'm for sure going to have a better experience when I start med next year because of it. Not only will I be going in with a better foundation in the biomedical sciences, I've also learned a heck of a lot about myself and matured greatly during these past three years.

Also, don't worry about trying to get that 4.0. I would beat myself up for getting B+'s and A-'s during my first two years before I finally realized that I don't need a 4.0 to be competitive. The important thing is to make sure that you participate in activities during the next three years of your life. Go out and find something that interests you and make it a regular part of your life. Likewise, you shouldn't feel pressured into taking the so called "easy A" classes at McGill. You'll find out what they are soon enough, but to be honest, I regret taking a few of them. I know that I could have done just as well had I taken courses that were more difficult (i.e. require more hours studying), but that I was actually interested in. Lately it seems that McGill is on a witch hunt to beef up those "easy A" classes. A lot of them aren't so easy anymore. >_>

Anyhow, that's enough of my rant. Best of luck to you in the future. Keep that chin up.

Archived