Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites during undergrad

Although I have been on this forum for a while, this is my first post. I would like to thank all of those who answer some of the questions on here. It definitely helps out a lot of us.

I will be starting my first year of undergrad in bio this year. Although I am still open minded to all different types of jobs out there (back-up plans if I do not get into medicine), medicine has been one of my top choices. This is why I would like to make my doors open to as many med schools in Canada and US.

My concern is the prerequisites for those schools that require them. I am particularly worried about Physics and English.

I have never taken Physics in high school, and from what people tell me, it is by far one of the hardest courses in the school. Taking a Physics course in university is what scares me the most. I am pretty sure that it will be VERY difficult without any background. English has always been my worst subject in high school. I came from Europe a few years ago, and am still learning the language.

Since many schools require Physics and English (more American schools than Canadian), would it be wise not to take Physics considering that I have no background knowledge at all? If I do take Physics, I am positive that my lowest marks will come from Physics and English. So, is it better to take both of these classes in the first year (have a lower GPA during that year) and get it over with, or take them in separate years?

I am aware that I still have a lot of time, and that I should not be worried a lot, but I think that it’s better to plan now than to be sorry later on.

All comments are welcome!

Do them in the summer. Although they will still be included in your GPA for US schools and some Canadian schools, it will be excluded for schools that dont include summer courses in your cGPA.

I would also suggest that you sit in on the physics classes before you actually take the course. Many students do that for organic chem and other courses and some find it useful to see what to expect.

Lastly, leave them until your final year. Schools wont see your 4th year GPA at the time of application but will see that you are currently doing or planning on doing the course before you graduate. That way, it wont impact your GPA at the time of application AND you will meet the requirements.

Hope this helps.

In Canada, most schools do not require physics (as you alluded to in your post). If you are definitely going to apply to the US, I would take physics in the summer. That way you can focus on that course... and if you do bad, at a lot of schools it won't count in the GPA. However, I'm sure if you focus on it throughout the summer you can do well.

I'm planning on taking English as a distance-ed class in 3rd year, so you can always do something like that in the summer.

If you know you're really not that great at it, personally, I wouldn't reccommend taking it (Physics) throughout the year. You will probably need it for your degree if you're interested in a bio-related field. English can wait though, you don't have to take it now... summer might be a good option for that too.

Personally, I would avoid taking classes that are likely to be hard on you in your first year, as you will be still adjusting to the demands of university and would probably end up doing worse than if you took those classes later.

You DON'T want not to take English and Physics if you want as many doors open for you as possible; in Canada it won't limit you too much, but in the US, it will drastically reduce the # of schools you can apply to. In another thread I mentioned that only 35% of US schools don't require English, and you can't be sure that all of them take Canadians, so you might be limiting yourself to less than 10 schools for all you know. And I think physics is required practically everywhere.

I hated physics too, but I got a B+....which is not a bad grade by any means. It was a terrible experience accompanied with weekly shedding of tears, but thank god for the Curve Almighty! I put LOTS of effort into it.

So wait until your 2nd year....and investigate the various English/physics courses and profs at your uni. Some profs can be REALLY hard while others may be easier. Also, with English, do go talk to a professor before registering and ask him how your experience with English as a second language may affect you. It's likely that he or she will be happy to proofread your essays before you submit them for marking, etc. Sometimes they are willing to give you extra time to read or write something, because they know it takes you more effort. Moreover, there are always some sort of free tutoring/academic support services on campus where you can have a Native speaker proofread your essays.

In Canada, most schools do not require physics (as you alluded to in your post). If you are definitely going to apply to the US, I would take physics in the summer. That way you can focus on that course... and if you do bad, at a lot of schools it won't count in the GPA. However, I'm sure if you focus on it throughout the summer you can do well.

No, US schools count all your grades, summer or not, so it won't matter for US schools.

Check the requirements for the schools you're interested in. I believe many schools do NOT require physics or English.

For example:

Toronto:

- requires humanities/social sciences (not necessarily English)

Queen's:

- requires humanities/social sciences (not necessarily English)

- requires physical sciences (not necessarily physics - may be general/organic chem)

Other schools may be different.

However, you will require decent physics skills and English (verbal and writing) skills in order to do well on the MCAT. You may choose to take some courses (or perhaps sit in on them if you're worried about the marks) in order to gain these basic physics/English skills.

Yeah, Physics blows.

PHYSUX...that's all.

Take your prereqs in the summer, and make your first year, bio,chem,calc, and if you have to take physics...just go for it. But, if you don't take it in the summer. English, I'd recommend taking in the summer from what I've heard it's a TON of reading, and writing. You don't want to stack that up on top of all your science.

Thanks for all the advices !!!

Lastly, leave them until your final year. Schools wont see your 4th year GPA at the time of application but will see that you are currently doing or planning on doing the course before you graduate. That way, it wont impact your GPA at the time of application AND you will meet the requirements.
If I leave them for the last year, and lets say I get into one of the schools here in Canada, would they give me a conditional offer? Something like “You have to maintain a GPA of 3.72”? If they do this, how high of a GPA will they request? I know it is different for all schools, but is it generally above the GPA cut-offs or below?

You will probably need it for your degree if you're interested in a bio-related field. English can wait though, you don't have to take it now... summer might be a good option for that too.
I can get away with not taking physics because my program requirement say that if I do not take physics I have to take one other class like Earth Systems, or Computer Concepts, or Algorithms & Programming, or Geomorphology. But because of MCAT and US school admission I am kind of forced to take it anyways.

Donald, what university are you planning on going to this year?
University of Windsor. I have actually spoken to a few friends regarding physics in Windsor, and they say that the professor is insane. They all suggested that I take it in summer school at Western, especially since I have no physics background from high school.

PhySUX indeedy...:mad:

It's been years since I've taken it. I condemn the day when I have to take it again which I have to do in preparation for the dreaded MCAT.:mad:

Haha, I'm reading my Examkrackers Physics right now and it says in bold: "Just remember: in real life, physics never sucks!":D

You might be surprised by Physics. I only took grade 11 physics in high school. That experience wasn't the greatest so I avoided physics like the plague.

I had to take first year physics in university and took "physics for the life sciences" at UWO. The class was to put it bluntly, very easy. The class average in 2004 was near 80%. I dunno about your particular university but don't just assume it will be hard just because it is physics, you might be surprised. Physics depends a lot on who is teaching it to you.

On a more unfortunate note, I didn't learn much in first year physics and it showed on my MCAT... :( Sometimes what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger for the MCAT.

That is my two cents.

Thanks for all the advices !!!

If I leave them for the last year, and lets say I get into one of the schools here in Canada, would they give me a conditional offer? Something like “You have to maintain a GPA of 3.72”? If they do this, how high of a GPA will they request? I know it is different for all schools, but is it generally above the GPA cut-offs or below?

I will use UWO as an example:

They want 2 yrs over 3.7. If you already have 2 yrs over 3.7, your 4th yr GPA wont matter as long as you are able to pass and graduate. If, however, you only have one yr over 3.7, your final year (ie 4th yr) will have to be over 3.7 as well - ie. your acceptance would be conditional.

For schools like UofT which dont have such cutoffs, your 4th yr GPA doesn't matter. You wont be required to keep it over a certain point or anything. As long as you complete the prereq courses and graduate, that's all that will matter.

Surely physics cannot be as hideous as Maths? I loathe maths! :eek:

It's harder than algebra, trigonometry, stats, and the like, but I think it's about the same difficulty level as Calc I and upwards. Of course, if you are taking smth like "physics for poets," it'd be easy, but those courses usually are not considered to count for the physics pre-req.

Avoid calc-based physics like a plague, that's 2 evils put together.

Thanks Jochi. The day that I take calc-based physics is the day I sign-up for classes unconscious. Calculus and Physics are not exactly my bestfriends. Those two together is my worst nightmare. Although rogerger does have a point about the difficulty of physics varies depending on who's teaching it. I must say that I didn't exactly have the best teacher, but yeah, I'm definitely planning on taking it before MCAT. Knowledge is power. I just hope I generate enough power for that test.:D

Thanks Jochi. The day that I take calc-based physics is the day I sign-up for classes unconscious.

Ahahaha!

My school only had "physics for poets" and calc-based....so I had to take the plunge.:( I cried weekly, tutors pretty much knew my menstrual cycle by the end of the class, and it took up as much time as my other three courses COMBINED, but the curve left me with a B+....and boy, I was pretty damn happy!

Praise the lab, it's always the lab that saves your grade.

Ahahaha!

My school only had "physics for poets" and calc-based....so I had to take the plunge.:( I cried weekly, tutors pretty much knew my menstrual cycle by the end of the class, and it took up as much time as my other three courses COMBINED, but the curve left me with a B+....and boy, I was pretty damn happy!

Praise the lab, it's always the lab that saves your grade.

I'd be very very happy with a B+ when the time comes. I must say that I will be very well-acquainted with the tutors as well. I'll be like a gum stuck under their shoe that just can't get rid of.

mathe-what? quan-who? I'm sorry. I suddenly lost my ability to read.:D

You might be surprised by Physics. I only took grade 11 physics in high school. That experience wasn't the greatest so I avoided physics like the plague.

I had to take first year physics in university and took "physics for the life sciences" at UWO. The class was to put it bluntly, very easy. The class average in 2004 was near 80%. I dunno about your particular university but don't just assume it will be hard just because it is physics, you might be surprised. Physics depends a lot on who is teaching it to you.

On a more unfortunate note, I didn't learn much in first year physics and it showed on my MCAT... :( Sometimes what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger for the MCAT.

That is my two cents.

Yeah, you are right. Hopefully it turns out to be ok. I think that I will be taking grade 11 physics during this summer just to get that basic knowledge of it so that I am prepared at least a little bit for the university course. Or maybe if they have some the online courses during the summer, I will take one of those.

That is my two cents.

All physics on the MCAT is high school level. I personally don't think univ physics would help much for the MCAT, except maybe to refresh your memory.

All physics on the MCAT is high school level. I personally don't think it would help much for the MCAT, except maybe to refresh your memory.

I dunno, the only thing about HS physics I got committed to memory is how I had to rewrite the optics exam 3 times before he pitied me and gave me a C-triple minus, lol.

wow, all these physics and calc bashers. I guess i must be one of those rare premeds who actually likes the stuff. I've taken Calc I, II, and III along with mathematical physics and a minor in quantum physics. And this is all for fun!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I kind of like math/physics and I miss it now that I'm in a life sciences program. I liked how I didn't have to memorize stuff - just understand it. I took some extra math courses just for fun too. I was a math and English gal back in high school (ie. the stuff you didn't have to study for). Don't know why I ended up in a biological program in undergrad, LOL.

Archived