Premed 101 Forums

needle phobia

What my dad used to do (he was a family physician) is block the line of vision of the patient and his or her injection site, either via some sort of bristol board, or a family member. Of course, you should state that you are blocking their line of vision intentionally, so as to avoid legal ramifications.

Supposedly, it hurts less when the patient cannot see the needle.

Just be thankful you aren't a rat in my lab course. We learned how to give needles to the lil' guys. Some people were able to pierce one piece of skin then because it was injected on such a shallow angle (it was suppose to be SC injection) and they didn't stop applying pressure and the needle would come out of the skin about a cm away from where it went in... So you had this needle going in then out of the rat at the same time... Ouch...

Then later on you hear this person say... Why is my rat greasy?

The prof was like... Yeah.... I think you just have him a steroid shower...

Unfortunately they were very much alive... :eek:

Urgh, wtf? How was that necessary? Were you guys treating them or just injecting things for the hell of it? I don't understand why live animals need to be experimented on in a painful manner in undergrad or high school classes. They should really increase the limits on use of animals in research. If they want you to see how steroids impact tissue, inject them into cells...and if they want you to practice giving injections, practice on dolls.

Seems like an odd lab course! You were learning to give injections with steroids?

When we learned to give injections our rats were anesthetised. And we were only using saline. Then when we were confortable with that, we moved on the non-anesthetised. And it was the vet and vet technicians who were teaching us in very small groups.

The way you describe your lab, I am surprised it got approved by the ethics committee!

Poor little rats. :(

I described it poorly, no the lab isn't a Frankenstein lab... I skipped to the end of the story too fast. We learned to inject with saline, first on anesthetized then live. But this particular person didn't quite "get it" during the training. The next day when we were doing the real deal (with steroids) this girl was still umm... still rusty... and the steroid shower too place. I think this occurred because the supervisor wasn't aware of her trouble during training. Needless to say, she "volunteered" to hold the rat instead of doing anymore injections after the event.

Yeah my third year lab course uses tons of animals, rabbits, rats, mice etc... We were looking at a physiological system in these experiments so cells alone wouldn't work. About 50% of the time they are anesthetized. I don't want to give the wrong impression, this case was an exception to the norm, just outlines an extreme example.

I like to think my rats didn't mind the injection, they didn't seem to react to the SC injection 99% of the time. But I suppose it still must suck being a lab rat being injected by someone who has only done held a needle half a dozen times before.

Nevertheless I can understand why some would be against using live animals in a teaching lab. I don't necessarily agree, but can sympathize with their position.

They hate needles?

Often you can't get them asleep without a needle of some sort --- using just gas to get someone out gives inconsistent results (but I'll defer to TMax for that)...

on the wards... block their line of sight; give them a warning it's coming after it's already in; if all else fails, use some topical anaesthetic like EMLA creme and come back in 5 minutes.

Hey,

Tell 'em to suck it up! Usually the EMLA cream takes a good hour or so to work and even then, it doesn't work all that well...

Gassing someone without an IV line in place is a bad idea in general, but sometimes it is a necessary evil in some populations (ie: autistic 10-year-olds who really don't want their teeth cleaned). Everyone else can deal with it- it doesn't hurt thaaat much! ;)

Hey,

yeh i mean, what if a doc is scared of poking people with needles? has that ever happened before? i'm just curious

Beats me, I'm sure that there are a few docs out there who are deathly afraid of giving needles. Fortunately, you won't have to dish out too many in most specialties!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived