Premed 101 Forums

What are you doing now?

I'm going to create a new thread as this section of the forum seems to be kind of dead lately. So what is everyone doing now as we wait for our letters?

I am currently working my two PT jobs and continuing my volunteer duties at the HSC. In May I plan to begin my MCAT studying, as a back up plan if I don't get in.

that's a lot to do during the summer premed...don't you wanna take a break or something?

ill b at the hospital 2 afternoons and at the lab only like 6 hrs a week, so ill have lots of time to relax without getting too bored. Ill just be happy not studying for the mcat this summer after doing it for the past 2

ill b at the hospital 2 afternoons and at the lab only like 6 hrs a week, so ill have lots of time to relax without getting too bored. Ill just be happy not studying for the mcat this summer after doing it for the past 2

Yea writing the beast more than once isn't fun. But, it is good to have it out of the way...if only it wasn't necessary. I wonder if UofM will ever decrease the weight of the MCAT. I think it is a little silly.

Yea writing the beast more than once isn't fun. But, it is good to have it out of the way...if only it wasn't necessary. I wonder if UofM will ever decrease the weight of the MCAT. I think it is a little silly.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I like the way U of M is setup. It can take years to improve your gpa after you've had troubles. You also may run into problems if you are in doing a masters/phd and cant improve your gpa as easily, but a good MCAT can make up for it.

Yeah, everyone wishes the scales were tipped a little more to their favor. For me, it's that 10% GPA :) If it were any higher, a not-so-good GPA would keep me out :mad:

As well, if anything, I wish they didn't weigh the Writing Sample as much as the other sections. That's how it goes, I guess.

Yeah, everyone wishes the scales were tipped a little more to their favor. For me, it's that 10% GPA :) If it were any higher, a not-so-good GPA would keep me out :mad:

As well, if anything, I wish they didn't weigh the Writing Sample as much as the other sections. That's how it goes, I guess.

Actually...I just wish performance on one test wasn't worth 50% of what they consider the ideal med. student.

Actually...I just wish performance on one test wasn't worth 50% of what they consider the ideal med. student.

At least the MCAT is a standardized test administered by a third party. GPA is so variable based on school, program, and course choices. Can you compare a 3.6 from an engineering degree to a 3.6 from a general biology degree? I sure can't. There are schools out there that like to keep the course averages in the B-range, while others want it in the C-range. Most schools don't consider the fact that you got an A while the class average was a C vs. you getting an A and the class average being a B.

People that do well on the MCAT like it. People that have a high GPA prefer that the weight be put more on GPA. The fact of the matter is, it is how it is and different schools have different requirements. If all schools were the same then we'd be getting the same "type" of applicants being accepted. I personally like the variability as it gives different people a chance at acceptance. I'm sure Manitoba has gone through a variety of admissions criteria in the past to arrive at where it is now and I'm sure they will be changed again in the future.

Sorry for the rant. This debate has been brought up several times in the past.

It felt alright, I guess. I immediately started thinking of things I could have said when I came out, and I did sort of fumble my way through one question (though I told them the issue was one I was not too familiar with) but there was nothing I didn't answer or gave a definitively bad answer to. Afterwards, I felt like I was waitlist material; although, I guess I have no idea what waitlist, rejection, or acceptance caliber is.

In conclusion, I'm not terribly confident, but I haven't lost hope yet :rolleyes:

Right now I am studying for my Spanish final tommorrow... not going so well

Looking forward to the summer, only working two part time jobs this year (TA and Tutoring at the Aboriginal Access Center) instead of a 35hr/week (NSERC)and 15hr/week (Rogers Video) along with "studying" for the MCAT and volunteering at St. Boniface. Looking forward to playing soccer again with my team and heading to the lake as well as hitting the links. Also excited to go to Montreal for a week in July and I can't wait for Grand Finale at the end of April where I will be severely damaging my liver and making a drunken speech to the winners of the SSA Teacher Awards...

Shoutout to Kuantum, Premedgirl and Vince99

very long term (ie. summer) - probably doing a bit or recording, maybe some travel. The mcat again if i don't get accepted this round, i know i can improve a lot. I refuse to work this summer.

long term (ie. after exams) - write up my article about my genetics research i did during last year's summer. I've been too lazy this whole year to actually write it up. I'll probably find some noname journal to accept me.

Not-so-long term (ie. next 2 weeks) - studying for exams and hanging with friends.

Short term (ie. right now) - trying to figure out if the Trews concert in dauphin is cancelled or not (i had four 3rd row floor tickets!). I've heard they are cancelled through the grape vine by radio and on one forum but no confirmation. I guess i'll call tomorrow morning

Archived