Premed 101 Forums

Biochemistry Vs. Life Sciences

So I have just finished first year and now I have to make a choice as to what I want to major in. I have narrowed it down to two choices; biochem and life sci. I have heard both good and bad things about each program. I would appreciate if anyone in either program could illustrate the pros and cons in relation to:

Content (both a general summary and how interesting it is)

Difficulty

Interaction with peers

Value of the degree (not necessarily for getting into med school)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm a life sci graduate, so here's my take on that program:

The content of Life Sciences is (I believe) considerably more broad than Biochemistry. This is inferred from the fact that Biochemistry is a contributing department to the Life Sciences program. You will take basic biochem in the life sci degree (310/315,316, MBIO), as well as a lot of other stuff. But the broadness is well integrated, and you can pick your focus in the upper years to cater your degree to a few areas of interest.

I would bet that both programs are both fairly difficult. Not too hard to get 70-80, but harder to get 80-85, and really hard to get 85 or higher. That's really subjective, though, and up for debate. Their science degrees, though, so they are probably fairly similar.

In any program, you will have peer interaction. LISC has a lot of labs, especially anatomy, where you will work closely with groups. Pharm labs are group work. Fun stuff, they are.

As for value of the degree... I'll let you know in a couple of years :cool:

I have done the honors biochem program with a minor concentration in life sci. In my opinion, the biochem program is more valuable if you are thinking of doing research (Masters, PhD etc) but that the life sci program is more diverse and interesting in nature. Biochem is very focused which can be both positive and negative depending on your level of interest. The problem with Queen's biochem is that you don't actually take a true biochem course until 3rd year, at which point it is tough to change programs if you don't like it. My advice would be to look into biochem as a subject to see if it appeals to you before deciding to take it as your program. Also, remember that for the biochem program you have to take a lot of second-year chem courses, so be sure to take that into consideration.

Just finished my biochem degree at Queen's...but I've also taken most of the life science courses.

As others have mentioned, by the time you reach fourth year biochem, it becomes REALLY specific. By that I mean one of our courses was devoted solely to techniques of protein isolation. The program is heavily research oriented, thus many of the people continue through to Masters/PhD.

Do you like the smaller stuff (how DNA, RNA, protein are made or controlled) or the big stuff (how cells grow/communicate, the mitochondria, ER, etc)?

It just amused me as I was reading that post that we would consider mitochondria/ER within cells to be "big stuff".

Content + Difficulty: If you want to do Biochemistry, make sure that you like chemistry and really good at writing labs. Your 2nd year will pretty much consist entirely of learning about chemistry (1 main group, 2 of organic, 1spectroscopy... and most people go for either analytical or physical chemistry as well). Some will go on to do the 3rd year organic and inorganic chemistry courses as well. Your 2nd year will also pretty much consist of writing labs. Having taken life science lab courses as well, I can tell you that the lab aren't like the labs in life sciences where it's pretty much you go in, you do stuff, and then you go home. It's more like, you go in, you do stuff, and then you go home and spend 10 - 15 hours writing up your lab. I spent most of 1st semester of 2nd year just writing labs...

Other than that, I can tell you that the interaction with peers part is pretty great in Biochemistry. The class of '08 started with ~ 120 people and now we are down to ~40 people, so by the time third year comes around, you will be in a smallish program and you know your fellow program mates and it's pretty sweet :) We have lots of fun together and we help each other.

And value of the degree... both are valuable! Like what has been said before, Biochemistry is better if you are considering a career in research. Life Sciences is better for giving you a broad overview. I would also add though that from my experience, life sciences is better for doing well on the MCAT.

• 2 weeks later...

I just graduated with Life Sci in 2006, and can tell you for a fact that you get a much broader choice of courses to take and they are EASIER. People who drop out of life sci and do biochem because they think it's easier have no idea how brutal it is to do all those rediculous lab write ups. If you really like Biochem you still have to take 310 or 315/316 and you can take other 400 level biochem courses to complete your life sci degree. Plus getting higher marks definitely helps that application :D :D

Lifesci has been called THE WORST way to GET INTO meds; however, once you're there, SOOOOO much of the preclinical curriculum is easier. That is not to say that Lifesci itself, as a program, is easy. Literally dozens of Lifesci grads have found this (and not just at Queen's meds either). Life Sciences was always designed to be a program of study meant for would-be graduate students in Health Sciences departments (ANAT, PHGY, PATH, PHAR, MICR). I'm not sure about the last 2 years or so but it as NEVER adverstised as a premedical program, despite it's content. The undergrad calendar was always very explicit about the intent. It seems a natural fit, however, for would-be medical students, which explains its growing popularity. The program has changed a lot in the last 12-15 years and may not be so "loyal" to the earlier vision/goals. Sure was fun though.

Archived