Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery

first - moonlighting. It is unusal to be able to do much moonlighting during residency. REsident fought really hard to have call reduced to 1 in 4 and in most general surgery residencies you will be doing just that. It doens't look good for you to do extra call on top of the 1 in 4 when programs will be penalized for making you do more call than that. Also, you're just too busy. That being said, many programs allow their residents to moonlight if they are offservice and not doing much call (ie pathology rotation, research rotations, etc.). I did a little moonlighting in the ICU when i was a PGY4 and 5. You have to have comopleted your LMCCII and some program directors want you to have passed POS as well before you can moonlight. My program director also had a requirement that you had to be above the mean on the CAGS exam (ie if you were below your free time should be spent studying, not working for extra cash).

Second: fellowships available: Colorectal, surgical oncology, trauma, icu, trauma/icu, minimally invasive, breast, thoracics, vascular, surgical endocrinology, hepatobiliary, transplant, etc. I may have missed a few in here but that's a fairly complete list.

Second: fellowships available: Colorectal, surgical oncology, trauma, icu, trauma/icu, minimally invasive, breast, thoracics, vascular, surgical endocrinology, hepatobiliary, transplant, etc. I may have missed a few in here but that's a fairly complete list.

Hey Tuss:

Are all these fellowships available in Canada? Or are most of them only offered in the US?

Hey Tuss:

Are all these fellowships available in Canada? Or are most of them only offered in the US?

Thanks for your help again!

Few questions from a newbie perspective:

-Can one moonlight during general surgery residence?

-Can one work in general surgery without doing a fellowship? What kind of fellowships can one do?

Hi,

First, the ability to moonlight is province-dependent. Many provinces do not allow moonlighting. A few which do: Alberta, Manitoba and Newfoundland. Ontario is one of the ones which does not.

Yes, you can work in Gen Surg without a fellowship but your choice of practice location will normally be limited to sites that are not urban as most urban centres require fellowship training.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi,

Yes, you can work in Gen Surg without a fellowship but your choice of practice location will normally be limited to sites that are not urban as most urban centres require fellowship training.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Does the same go for neurosurgery too?

Hey Tuss:

Thanks for your help again!

All of these fellowships are available in Canada as well as the US. There are limited spots in Canada but also a limited number of graduating residents applying for fellowship training.

Archived