Premed 101 Forums

November Dat

Hey everyone,

Well i'm writing the DAT again, this coming November. I wrote it and did very poorly on bio and reading comp (19 and 19). Personally, I found the bio questions to be random the only questions that were remotely close to what I studied were a few questions on animal populations and one question on the eye. Everything else was just weird. I studied Kaplan bio inside out and I was told by many there will be a ton of questions on hormones. There was not even one question on hormones, and I'm sure about that because when i walked out that was the first thing I thought of and i was pretty peeved off. about it lol Anyways, I don't exactly remember what questions came on the DAT mainly because it was such a bad experience I guess my mind is purposely trying to forget it lol. Anyways, my question is what should I study? Kaplan bio didn't help me what else should i try? I'm currently going over Barron's how to prepare for the dat guide. I like the bio section because it includes a large portion on bones, which Kaplan didn't. Other than that everything else is the same. I'm also going over schaum's outline of bio but again it seems very similar to Kaplan and Barron's.

One of two things can happen in the november DAT, either it'll be just as random as february's session or it'll be relatively normal and will cover what I expected it to cover.

Is anyone re-writing the dat, how are you going to study for the bio are you going to just go over what you studied previously or are you going to study other material? any suggestions?

I know right now most of this forum is filled with people talking about acceptances, haha but i'm way behind. Sorry if this thread seems to be so out of place in comparison to the other threads that are being made at the moment.

thanks

-wisdom_tooth

Try Campbell's biology: http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Sixth-Neil-Campbell/dp/0805366245

That book will have everything you need to know. That said, it does go into a bit too much detail on some subjects - especially the species trees. But if you know that book inside and out, then you are really set.

I used it at the very end of my studying to fill in some holes or explain some concepts further. The questions in the text help a lot too and really do tell you if you have a good grasp of the chapter. The study guide that you can get with it is also great since you have even more questions, and you get a summary of each chapter in very good depth.

Hey everyone,

Well i'm writing the DAT again, this coming November. I wrote it and did very poorly on bio and reading comp (19 and 19).

You scores aren't that bad. It’s not anywhere close to doing "very poorly".

You have the cut off for Western verbal, and Bio will be better only you can get it couple of scores higher to over 20. I assume you have higher scores in Chemistry, and therefore you science average should be about 20. You will get an interview with these scores as it is if your GPA is competitive.

yea, scores are good, average is 15 keep in mind. I found the dat to be almost identical from year to year, bio questions about kidneys and human systems, helps to have biochem under your belt too. i thought the questions were broad and could be figured out for the most part as they werent necessarily about the detail you think it is. If i dont get in I will be re writing the dat in nov, good luck to you wisdom.

Try Campbell's biology: http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Sixth-Neil-Campbell/dp/0805366245

That book will have everything you need to know. That said, it does go into a bit too much detail on some subjects - especially the species trees. But if you know that book inside and out, then you are really set.

I used it at the very end of my studying to fill in some holes or explain some concepts further. The questions in the text help a lot too and really do tell you if you have a good grasp of the chapter. The study guide that you can get with it is also great since you have even more questions, and you get a summary of each chapter in very good depth.

that was my first year bio text, I SOLD IT THOUGH LOL

i'm kicking myself right about now

i guess maybe i can borrow it from a friend, I think she still has hers from first year

thanks

-wisdom

Archived