Premed 101 Forums

Reality Check?

Many of us are still waiting to hear back from dent schools. If for some horrible chance you do not get into dent this time around what is your backup plan?

I don't want to be overconfident and not have anything to fall back on so I'm applying to master's programs. But that's a two year commitment, which just delays the entire process of going to dent (which is my ultimate goal).

What are all of your plans (for those who are still waiting)?

I think there should only be two reasons why you pursue a Master's Degree

1) You really want to do one

2) Your marks are too low and you want to be more competitive.

I worked for two years after my undergrad. I had lots of interesting experiences I could talk about during my interviews. Also working allows you to pay off some debt and have some fun. Just something you should consider when going down the Master's route......

Rick.

I'll admit that I haven't done too much research into this, how do the dentistry schools look at graduate students? They seem to be very academic oriented (much more than medicine if medicine isn't enough already). I tried reading the websites but the way they describe the admission process isn't very clear.

i.e. how would a graduate degree help? I heard the average of the incoming class at U of T this year is 3.92!

I agree with Rick... Master degrees are not as easy as everyone makes them out to be... in fact, they are WAY harder... so if you do choose to go ahead with it, do it for the right reasons, otherwise you may end up cursing your choice for the next two years.

I'll admit that I haven't done too much research into this, how do the dentistry schools look at graduate students? They seem to be very academic oriented (much more than medicine if medicine isn't enough already). I tried reading the websites but the way they describe the admission process isn't very clear.

i.e. how would a graduate degree help? I heard the average of the incoming class at U of T this year is 3.92!

Well with the way things are looking, a masters degree may help more than you think. Lately with all teh talk around school, and from my own experience talking with admissions (and the chair) it seems like UofT will soon (if not already) adopt similar philosphy as medz and give more weight to MSc/PhD holders. So yah, if you need to boost grades, go right ahead and do what you must!

Cheers,

:)

Well I'm not really sure what gpa UWO is using for me (I emailed Trish over 2 weeks ago and still no reply), but I'm guessing it's competitive since I got an interview (right?). I did very poorly my first two years of undergrad and then did really well afterwards, so that is why I was contemplating doing a master's...to show my dedication to improving my grades. Also, i've done research at the undergrad level, so i'm already interested in research. Plus, several of the dent schools I've toured at, said that if you don't get in right away it's best that you stay in the groove of school by doing a master's. And I really want to move back to Canada, but I know my folks won't support me at all if I'm only going for work (since they'll think i'm not doing anything to improve my dent situation...)

I think there should only be two reasons why you pursue a Master's Degree

1) You really want to do one

I worked for two years after my undergrad. I had lots of interesting experiences I could talk about during my interviews. Also working allows you to pay off some debt and have some fun. Just something you should consider when going down the Master's route......

Rick.

That is sort of a misinformed post.

I agree with you Rick about wanting to do a Master's and then yea sure, pursue one.

I STRONGLY disagree with you about having low grades and applying to dentistry and getting in JUST because you have a master's. I have a friend (a master's student) who didnt even get an interview at U of T but, ended up getting into UBC even though he had a master's. WHY??? U of T places a STRONG emphasis on grades but, UBC has an essay, 3 reference letters e.t.c. i.e., U of T admissions process is NOT as comprehensive as you alluded to in your post.

Secondly, I am very sure that the grades of the master's students at U of T dentistry are way up to par with undergrads. According to U of T grade scale, undergrads who're in their 4th year or 3rd years have only 2 yrs that are cumulated towards the average that admissions look at. HOWEVER, master's students have 3 yrs that are cumulated. So in the end, it can be advantageous or disadvantageous depending on how you did.

LASTLY, U of T dentistry has:

1) NO ESSAYS to communicate the experiences gained during the course of a master's degree

2) NO GRAD PACKAGE unlike U of T meds

2) NO referee letters from the master's students committee

3) No CV that needs to be handed in

When you say that the admissions committee is assuming the applicant is perfect "JUST" because he is a master's student, IMO is a complete misassumption.

Hope that clarifies some issues that Allsmiles is having about pursuing a master's. In the end, it MAY help you, it MAY not. A master's is a challenge and in the end how you do depends upon your own self-discipline, self-motivation and drive. DO NOT do a master's if you think you're doing it because you have to (you could do it but, it WILL be miserable).

Why is doing a master's a miserable experience? Is it the thesis deadlines? Working for a supervisor you may not totally like as the years progress? I thought it would be kinda "fun" to work in the lab and do research, write papers, present your thesis, and teach....could you clue me in?

i wish there were more non research masters programs here. i only know of one; the one at UTM. i personally hate research, which is why i have decided to not go for masters. i will go for a 5th year if uwo doesnt work out for me. and as a backup, ill be applying to really low key dental schools in the US this time around.

i also thought of working for a year, instead of doing a 5th year. but, i really dont know what sort of work i should be looking at. id like to do something thats as close as possible to dentistry. but, again, a 5th year will help in increasing my gpa. so for now, 5th year is the backup plan.

I would only suggest doing a masters IF you really enjoy research and you know what you are getting into. From personal experience, there are very few instances of a 2 year masters anymore. The minimum being 2.5 years and the average being 3 years these days. This is because things very often do not work as expected and you actually spend more time troubleshooting than doing actual research. In addition, you have to remember that you MUST finish and defend you thesis before being able to start Dental School. This a definite downside. My suggestion is to probably do a Victory Lap year and reapply next year. Try US schools as well, seeing as you already in the US and definetly try for the state school in where you are currently residing as you most likely qualify as a resident in this situation.

Archived