Premed 101 Forums

Autobio Sketch

Guest poker

Guest poker

How important is it to fill all 48 entries in the autobiographical sketch? I keep hearing conflicting opinions on this question with regards to creating a competitive application. I'm not suggesting padding the sketch with bs, but am I putting myself at a disadvantage with only 40 entries? Should I try to squeeze some more out?

Guest JSS02

I also heard conflicting information last year - someone said that he got in with 20 or so entries on his sketch, but others who thought it would help to fill it out. So that's what I did. However, I seriously doubt that "only" 40 entries will end up hurting you (40 and 48 seem pretty close), so it's nothing you should worry about too much.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I really believe that the number of activities is not nearly important as the quality of activities. I only had 38 listed last year and was offered an interview at Mac. I would by no means "pad" the list. Particularly if what you are listing is really just fluff. This would surely take away from the more pertinant and meaningful experiences that you have.

Good luck!

Melissa

Guest UWOMED2005

My impression is that these things are more an art than a science - ie, there really is no right answer. It all depends on who is evaluating the autobiographical sketches. . . often these things are evaluated by a number of different committees at the schools, kind of like mini-interview commitees. So you might have an evaluator who is looking only for high quality activities and really on the lookout for "padding," or alternatively it is possible you might have an evaluator on the committee who thinks someone looks weak with anything less than the 48 lines filled (unlikely, BTW.) That kind of thing is impossible to predict. It's also my theory as to why applicants can't understand why they got interviewed at one school/year based on the autobiographical sketch but not another.

I'd say just go with whatever you feel best demonstrates what you've done. If you can get enough good activities to fill all 48 lines (that doesn't have to be 48 activities BTW, I often used more than one line for my best activities to better describe them!!) then do that. If it is absolutely obvious that filling up the 48 lines involves padding, then don't. As Itsmemelissa pointed out, you can get the required interviews without filling all 48 lines.

Sorry that I couldn't give you a more concrete answer . . .

Guest JSS02

Just a note about using more than one line to describe an activity: I think that was allowed two years ago, but last year they didn't mention it in the application booklet so I contacted OMSAS myself. I was told NOT to use more than one line for each activity/award, and that they "expect you to be concise."

Guest foobar14

I am 29yrs/old and have 15 under employment, but have only got 24 in total!

What is the least amount of activities people had on the sketch and still received an interview?

Guest ItsmeMelissa

foobar,

I suspect that given your 15 work related experiences, you will likely have some further things to add that you may not be aware of.

Try making a timeline starting at age 16. List everything and I mean everything that you have done in those 13 years. Have you ever played team sports, or been a member of a group or club? Did you receive any scholarships or bursaries in University? At your various jobs were you involved in any committees (ie Health and Safety)? Have you done any travelling?

Think outside the box. Look at things that you are particularly proud of or that you have committed a lot of time to. I am sure that you will have some experiences that may not be easily pigeonholed into the categories on the app. This is where you can highlight some of the things that you have done since completing your education (if you have) or highlight you achievements if you are a non-traditional applicant.

Hope this helps,

Melissa

Guest diencephalon

Hi Melissa,

Would Bursaries be ok to put in your sketch? Isn't it just $$$ given to people in financial need? I don't know if I should put that in the awards section or whatnot

Diencephalon

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I did put bursaries on my app, but only because they were private funds set up for people with specific qualifications and/or characteristics as judged by the committee. They were competative bursaries not based simply in financial need.

Looking back at my application, I see several things that may be considered "fluff". At the time of my application I didn't know any better. The thing is, I did get an interview at Mac with this application, so I must have done something right!

Just put the things on that you consider appropriate. If you feel something serves as evidence of your suitability for medicine, then add it!!

:D

Melissa

Regarding the number of entries in the sketch I seriously cannot think that I put more than 30 and I got 2 interviews. Some activities I did for 2-3 years so there was not a lot of variety but a lot of dedication to activities I enjoyed.

Guest tutifruiti

First of all, interviews are given on the base of your GPA, MCAT and autobio questions (either PIF, Ottawa detailled sketch...) and NOT on the 48 entries list. This is true and confirmed for UofO.

In my opinion it's good to have as many substancial entries as you can fill because it gives to the interviewers a quick good first impression (the interviwers at UO only had our OMSAS 48 entries list). However, you have to be careful not to put (too much) padding or the adcoms will think that your entire application is a joke and will quickly cross your name out the crowded list. In my opinion again, I believe that this advice particularly applies to 3rd-year-undergrad applicants or younger applicants because the adcoms could think that considering their ages they don't have alot of life experience. It's just my opinion!

I also totally agree with Sil: it's harder to fill the list if you have put alot of time and dedication in only a few activites. I had a couple of ECs I spent alot of time on for a long time as well. I decided to split these ECs into many entries in order to be more specific and put more emphasis on certain aspect of these ECs. For instance: "president of a committee" doesn't mean alot. In this case, this ECs could be split in: "organize the sponsorship of a refugee student", "creation of a website: ****.ca"; "organisation of education for development activities...". Doing that I was sure that the adcoms could have a good idea of my involvement/dedication in my EC activities even if they don't ask me questions on them. Doing that I could be sure that my adcoms would not go beside some of my experiences (and not see important aspects of myself) if they ever happened to not ask me any questions on my involvement as the xxx of the xxx committee.

Again sorry for my poor English )o.

Good luck pals!

Tin

Guest JSS02

Hey Tin, just a point of clarification regarding your message above. I think the 48 entry autobio sketch DOES contribute to your score that is used to decide if you get an interview (U of T, and maybe Mac), or to get accepted post-interview (Queen's).

For the people applying this year, here's basically what each of the Ontario schools did (in past years; I guess it could change this year) in deciding who to interview:

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Toronto:<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> 60% GPA, 40% non-academic (sketch, essay, references). MCAT scores are used only as a flag in determining whether they'll read your essay or not.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Western:<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> If you make their MCAT/GPA cutoffs, which vary from year to year depending on the applicant pool, you'll get an interview unless you have something really bad in your sketch/references. Even if you haven't completed 1 or 2 required courses it's alright, since UWO lets you do them in the summer after you get in.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Queen's:<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> If you make their MCAT/GPA cutoffs, which vary from year to year depending on the applicant pool, you'll get an interview unless you have something really bad in your PIF/sketch/references.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Ottawa:<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> This one I'm not too sure about. I know they have different GPA cutoffs based on your place of residence, and don't care about your MCAT scores. But after you reach the cutoffs, I don't know if everyone is considered equal, or they weigh the GPA for 75% and your Ottawa detailed autobio sketch for 25%, or what.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Mac:<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> 50% GPA, 50% non-academic (i.e. the 15 question autobio submission, and maybe your references/sketch as well). The MCAT isn't used.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I know for sure that the interviewers at both Queen's and Ottawa have your OMSAS autobiographical sketch right in front of them as they interview you. How do I know? I saw it in both cases- neatly highlighted too- very impressive. So keep that in mind as you decide what to include and what to leave out.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest chachacha

at my U of T interview they definitely had my autobio sketch and my essay there in front of them, cause i saw it and stuff was highlighted and underlined - of which they picked out stuff to ask.

Hi folks,

Just wondering how you enter those 48 entries in OMSAS sketch. You enter all university activities (employment, ec, awards) first then high school stuff or enter them all in various categories (employment, ec awards) like the way in Ottawa autobio sketch? Thanks.

Guest JSS02

It's based on categories: education, awards, research, volunteer, extracurriculars, and "other." You don't have to worry about entering them in chronological order because the system will automatically sort them for you.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Hi BMW,

If I remember correctly, Compass automatically sorts the entries chronologically and by category so you don't need to enter them in any particular order!

Can anyone confirm that?

Have FUN!

Melissa

I dont understand why we shouldnt put that, what do you mean you've " seen a few and i've always commented on it. "?

seems valid to me....

Guest UWOMED2005

The Millenium scholarship is a needs-based award rather than an award for achievement. Getting one is not really a measure of academic achievement. Also most adcoms know this - if they notice that you've put down the millenium scholarship as an "award" they're likely to start questioning what the basis is for the the other awards that they haven't heard of.

Just want to make a correction, there are actually two millennium scholarships one based on financial need and one based on marks and extracurricular/community/leadership work. So if you've gotten the latter, make sure you make the distinction.

Archived