Premed 101 Forums

Feedback on APS

Anyone can comment on the APS and how it went?? plzzzz?

thanks, :)

Hi Madison,

I just went through the APS yesterday so I can give you my first impression. I think that calling it a “fair process” would be the best way to describe the APS. It’s fair for the candidates and it’s fair for the faculty who can screen candidates based on the aptitude deemed necessary to study medicine at Laval. It’s also very transparent.

On a more pragmatic side, as you probably know, you first participate in six role plays and then in a group discussion. For the role plays, you are placed in groups of three. You play the patient or its companion four times and you are evaluated twice, i.e. when you are assigned the part of the doctor. The role plays last ten minutes each and the discussion lasts 30 minutes.

I would say that on that day, you are your best asset (just like in any other admission process, I guess). BUT you’ve got help in showing your bright side! As a matter of fact, right from the beginning, when Dr Villeneuve opens up the day with a short introductory speech, we are told that during the role plays, whenever we’re not being evaluated, we are to act as the foil (“faire-valoir”) for the candidate being on the spot. This simple introductory sentence kind of framed the whole process so that everyone did its best to ensure all candidates got a fair chance of showing what kind of person they are.

As of the group discussion, it is just like any other group discussion. Some people will just try to monopolize the conversation and not follow the rules the group gave itself. But, as we say, où est-ce qu’il y a de l’homme il y a de l’hommerie!

Good luck for your APS!

Thanks mouz for all this information. Unfortunately, i didnt get to see your answer before leaving for qquebec b/c my APS was today!!..

but anyways i think youre right when you say that it is a very fair process. and also, it was very fun to do!!!i really like it, it was not stressful at all

anyways, good luck and hoping we will all receive a positive answer on may 16th!!!

Archived