Premed 101 Forums

OOP Letters

Last year they sent emails to the OOP on "The Day" followed by the usual snail mail letter (for your scrapbooks ;) ). I seem to think that they are all sent out at the same time (IP and OOP), but some people are convinced there's "Batching" that goes on.

They also sent emails to those IP some distance out of wpg

Hey, I was just placed on the OOP waitlist as well through e-mail. I have to tell you, after hearing that people were getting both waitlist and acceptance letters, I was afraid that I was in the other "unmentionable" pile. The letters are personalized, so I wouldn't worry if people haven't received theirs yet.

from what i've heard, about 30-40 ppl are waitlisted and i'm guessing it'll start moving in a couple weeks, till the end of summer. Don't be too worried since the OOP waitlist moves quite a bit for manitoba. I remember my academic advisor telling me they had to got through 40 ppl two years ago before they found 10 to accept. Altho this year might be different becuase of the western ontario thing. don't know how that's gonna go down

Got the email just now, it was timed at 4:21 though (eastern).

I am also waitlisted - I wonder if they waitlist all OOP applicants or if they also send out rejections as well? Anyway, a waitlist last year almost gauranteed an acceptance - not sure if it'll be the same this year....

I remember one first year student tell me that applicants in the first two quartiles get waitlisted (first 10 obviously get accepted) and the bottom two quartiles get rejected?

Anyway, I hope that the IP applicants who got accepted but who will turn down the offer use the forums and inform us when they withdraw!!!

from what i've heard, about 30-40 ppl are waitlisted and i'm guessing it'll start moving in a couple weeks, till the end of summer. Don't be too worried since the OOP waitlist moves quite a bit for manitoba. I remember my academic advisor telling me they had to got through 40 ppl two years ago before they found 10 to accept. Altho this year might be different becuase of the western ontario thing. don't know how that's gonna go down

What Western Ontario thing are you referring to?

What Western Ontario thing are you referring to?

I think he/she meant the consideration of Thunder Bay residents as IP but letting them compete for our OOP seats...there's only 10 of these applicants anyway, but we'll see what happens.

I know that due to the deadline with OMSAS, waiting lists for ON schools start moving first week of June. Does anyone know when the waiting list for Manitoba generally start moving? For those accepted, how long do you have to make your decision?

Does anyone know how many of the OOP seats are being given to the Thunder Bay residents? Also, will these seats only be given to the them if admissions has a difficult time filling up the OOP spots?

It's in another thread - basically, they aren't being "given" our seats. What was said, was that out of 60 interviewees this year, 10 were reserved for them. All 60 applicants compete for the OOP seats - the big unfair thing is that these 10 applicants are considered IP.

It's in another thread - basically, they aren't being "given" our seats. What was said, was that out of 60 interviewees this year, 10 were reserved for them. All 60 applicants compete for the OOP seats - the big unfair thing is that these 10 applicants are considered IP.

but is there a limit to how many of these spots actually can go to Thunder Bay residents?

I am on the waitlist so this could really affect my chances of getting in. This whole thing is just really confusing.

No, I don't think the Thunder Bay residents are competing for IP seats - only OOP seats, they are only 10 out of 60. Yes UBCstu, the whole point of reserving 10 interview spots for them and then scoring their files as if they were IP instead of OOP obviously gives them an advantage - it is a response to last years event where they had to make 48 offers (out of 60 interviewed applicants) and they still only managed to fill 8 of the OOP spots. This is pretty embarrassing, b/c this means they probably went through their entire waiting list...and still didn't fill the 10 seats. Had we only applied last year!!!!!!!!!

Archived