Premed 101 Forums

93 average in high school: will I be able to get a 3.8 at U of T undergrad?

This is my last month of my high school career.

I have a 93 average this term.

I am wondering if i go to UofT, assuming i work my ass off and have a passion for sciences/ life science, how hard would be to main an GPA of 3.8 + .

definitely not impossible, but far from a walk in the park for many.

you'll also be surrounded by people with 90+ high school averages, really your high school performance doesn't mean much anymore. someone with an 80 average in high school may find the adjustment to uni easier, have better time management skills etc etc.

you really have to enjoy what you're doing (and that won't be easy for year 1 and 2 because you get little say in what you're taking). Just don't let your guard down and you'll be ok. it's easy to feel that you're on top of the world graduating from high school with a good average... but don't be complacent and dwell on your past successes, keep working hard at it. as long as you don't majorly mess up a year (ie if you can stay at a 3.7+ gpa for year 1 and 2,) the rest should be a cakewalk.

University is a totally new experience. IMHO, your attitude will be the difference maker in your goal of achieving a high GPA. If you truly want to get that GPA, you will do whatever it takes (nothing illegal or immoral I hope) to get it. If that means studying till 4 am on a given night, then so be it and so on...

Also as a premed you have to contend with other activities such as volunteering and etc. This is where your attitude will play a major role, if you take it as “Alright! lets do this!" instead of "Man.. I can’t believe I have to waste my time doing this". You’ll find you can achieve anything. I learned this the hard way (less than stellar GPA in my second year). Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck in your future studies bud!

thanks for all the insight.

i have a general question about applying to med school.

When u apply, the GPA that u send them, is that ur accumulative GPA throughout your whole undergrad career? or how does it work?

When u apply, the GPA that u send them, is that ur accumulative GPA throughout your whole undergrad career? or how does it work?

don't worry too much about the details now..you can always use the search function in these forums if you are really keen. you'll basically find that every school will calculate your gpa differently then the institution you attend. first off, there is an OMSAS gpa conversion table, which adjusts your GPA based on the university you are coming from. secondly, some schools may consider your entire undergrad career (mac), others will weight your gpa based on year of study (ottawa), uoft may exclude a few courses (based on certain conditions), others may consider your two best years etc etc.

you have to do your reserach eventually. for now, you should focus on doing well while adjusting to university. maintaining a full course load (5.0 full credits per academic year) will also keep your options open.

You just send them your transcript which has all of your coursework, sessional GPAs, and cumulative GPA. The med schools will do whatever they want with it...each school looks at GPA differently.

Hey!

It's great that you're thinking about meds already. A few quick words of advice from an old fogie...

1) As others have said, this board is a *fantastic* resource. You would be really well served by taking a few hours over the next little while and reading through the old posts here. A lot of questions come up time and time again, and the answers can generally found with a little looking. Reading old posts will also give you an idea of what the whole application process is like for undergraduate students, and also what med school is like. If you do some reading and research now, the whole process of applying will be a lot less scary in few years. Plus, you'll be that much ahead of everybody else when the time comes to apply (see the "clueless premeds" thread that was active around here a while ago)

2) That being said, don't get focused on meds to the exclusion of everything else during your undergraduate career. A lot of people go into university intending to become physicians, far fewer actually apply to medical school and even fewer actually get in. Keep an open mind over the next four years. Experience life and try new things.

3) It's your last month of highschool? ENJOY IT! I'm not one of those people who tell you that highschool is the best time of your life. Highschool can suck in a lot of different ways, but it is a unique time in your life. Savor the experience. Goof off, party, chat up members of the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's your thing) and spend time with your friends while you're all still together. Some of the people you're hanging out with now will be your friends forever, while others will just sort of drift away. There's really no good way to tell, so enjoy the moment while you're in it.

pb

Archived