Premed 101 Forums

Organic chem

Adversary--you are the best! you post in time and you truly help out. Thanks a lot, now I just have to contact the schools and make sure that this is okay with them..

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your responses, you help alleviate some of the anxiety I have been having lately.

Thanks a bunch:)

So, I have a D+ in organic chem and I wanted to retake it through Athabasca... what do you guys think? I am primarily applying to american schools sooo i gotta make sure that I pull off an A in the course... any advice? has anyone done a course through Athabasca?

Is getting an A a realistic goal considering you got a D+ the first time round?

Many people find correspondance more difficult due to little structure and timelines.

A word of caution - A's in previous science courses do not necessary predict success in organic chemistry. I do not want to discourage you, but I want to warn you to be especially vigilant about organic chemistry. I have friends who did well in school, but get tanked in organic chemistry. The problem is that hardwork does not necessary correlate well with academic success in this course. The payoff is much lower than a standard science course. However, it does not mean that those who did well in organic chemistry had studied less. Some people just have a knack for solving the pathway problems.

A course with similar low correlations is genetics. It has knocked down many GPA's. People study very hard yet do very badly. The professor at UBC once told me that he had a student who had an A- average, yet had to take his genetics course 3 times, failing the first 2 times. The last time he just kinda passed him, partly out of pity.

So be very weary of organic chemistry. Do not believe that if you work hard, you will be successful.

organic chem and biochem i found had no correlation between work/study time/understanding of material and academic success. Here at Manitoba I found them testing on such insignifigant detail, moreso for biochem than organic. I got some pretty bad marks in them, probably have to retake them next year, boo

IMO, organic chemistry is not hard ...it's not analytical chemistry where you need to be analyze, deduct and finally come up wit a solution

For organic, you need to just sit down and memorize and visualize and if you spend like 15 hrs studyin everyday ...u'll get at least an A-

A lot of people do bad in organic because they take it with other science courses and just dont have time to invest in organic which does require a hefty investment. It's a fun course only because it's the only course in chemistry where you can memorize and not have to worry about equations and math

So yes shimmer, you will get an A- and above if you invest A LOT of time which you will have over the summer as you won't have other courses to worry about

...if you spend like 15 hrs studyin everyday ...u'll get at least an A-...

HAHA..that only leaves you with 9 hrs to eat, sleep, etc.! Are we talking about 1st year Org or 2nd year? First year OrgChem at UofT was pretty straightforward...first half was review of the basics then second half got into the reactions. But CHM247 required a huge leap with the amount of reactions you had to memorize. And mkmkhan right, what's great is it just memory work! Personally, I think if you dedicate some time each day to memorize the reactions...and of course practice (specifically test type questions), you will get your A...especially if its your only course. Goodluck!

I took it ages ago and got an A+. The secret to my success was a wonderful prof and I did a little bit of work on it everyday. I made sure I understood the concepts after each class, and if I needed clarification...I made sure I got it. I don't think it takes hours and hours of work to do well in it...just deligence/practise. just my 2 cents.....

I also took organic chem ages ago...and the first time around I received a well deserved D. I had to retake it in the summer and the second time I received an A. I agree with others that it takes hard work and review everyday to do well.

I just finished a physics course through Athabasca and I would give the same advice. Because it is a distance course, it takes lot of dedication on your part to stay on top of things, meeting your own personal deadlines and staying organized. I am sure that you will do well if you work hard. Good luck

Archived