Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement period OOP

Does anyone know when the OOP waitlist movement starts to take place?

I'm assuming that if all 10 of the applicants get into their home province schools, everyone has until May 29 to decide right? This means that the list will probably begin to move the sametime as the OMSAS schools -early June.

At the sametime, if these students get into their #1's, then they should be able to make a firm decision to decline the Manitoba offer immediately and the list should be moving next week!!

It would be very nice to know, the timeline for last year - I know that they made 38 offers to the waitlist for 10 seats (8 filled) but were these offers all given out in a span of a week or two in June?!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone heard if the OOP waitlist has begun moving yet?

It should be soon, I know that the waitlists all across the country have begun to move, so it should be any day now. Manitoba however, is the only school that I know of, that still has 1/3 of "regular" offers to hand out, as well as to reject and waitlist IP students. So they may wait until they've finished with all this first, i.e., June 1st or June 4th, before they start doing anything with the waiting list.

I believe Dalhousie also have some "regular" offers to hand out as well to their maritime applicants, and Dalhousie should be mailing them at the end of the week.

didn't know that one..so there's two schools that still have regular offers to hand out..i'm willing to be these two schools don't touch the waitlist until these 2nd offers are out...even if they receive information about declines.

Doing all the declines at once probably saves a lot of paperwork.

yup. that's why there's these "waves" of offers...i think most schools do not really make offers as declines come in early on, but wait till most of it comes in and then make the offers then...

I finally couldn't take the wait and called Beth. She actually didn't even seem annoyed (and she laughed when I mentioned the internet gossip that today was the day)! I called around 2:15 pm Pacific (BC) time.

She said that she was hoping to send out emails today.. so if you are waiting for an email, it could be today!! She said to be patient and it sounded positive, like it could be soon for me though she wouldnt give numbers... crossing fingers.

I finally couldn't take the wait and called Beth. She actually didn't even seem annoyed (and she laughed when I mentioned the internet gossip that today was the day)! I called around 2:15 pm Pacific (BC) time.

She said that she was hoping to send out emails today.. so if you are waiting for an email, it could be today!! She said to be patient and it sounded positive, like it could be soon for me though she wouldnt give numbers... crossing fingers.

Keep in mind that 2:15 Pacific is 4:15 central time (and 5:15 eastern), so I don't think she got around to sending them out since she would've been out by 5. But if she was hoping to get them out today, then damnit!!!! We're gettin close baby! Perhaps tomorrow or wed!!!!! Thanks for the good news dude!! Well, good as in knowing when it'll start moving, not as in I have a high chance of getting in.

i was just looking at another thread..and people were talking about which quartile they were in for the waitlist. I didnt actually receive this kind of info in my waitlist letter. i am oop btw. am i missing something?

i was just looking at another thread..and people were talking about which quartile they were in for the waitlist. I didnt actually receive this kind of info in my waitlist letter. i am oop btw. am i missing something?

yep, OOP do not get to find out their positions, not even quartiles!!!

no. out of province students are not split into quartiles because the waitlist is small and that it moves alot. (this is my understanding anyhow, I'm an applicant just like you)

lol, well - let's look at the numbers guys, did you know that of the ~850 applicants to Manitoba, ~650 of them are OOP? Leaving only about 200-250 applicants for 90% of the seats...so their waitlist is pretty small too. The thing is, Manitoba is the only med school within the province, it's not like ON, so the IP waitlist I reckon doesn't move that much. I've also noticed that Manitobans seem to really want to stay in Manitoba and I've come across a few that applied ONLY to Manitoba...

lol, well - let's look at the numbers guys, did you know that of the ~850 applicants to Manitoba, ~650 of them are OOP? Leaving only about 200-250 applicants for 90% of the seats...so their waitlist is pretty small too. The thing is, Manitoba is the only med school within the province, it's not like ON, so the IP waitlist I reckon doesn't move that much. I've also noticed that Manitobans seem to really want to stay in Manitoba and I've come across a few that applied ONLY to Manitoba...

In the waitlist letter it said 13-18 average people are accepted off the waitlist, ranging from 10 to 22 in the last 5 years!

update: she said she apparently sent out some emails, but she expects the waitlist to move ALOT more. the ALOT is in caps because she did emphasize this. She said she's waiting to hear back from lots of people so no need to worry yet.

*sigh*: I just don't think she understands how stressful the waiting game is.

Archived