Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement period OOP

Hey.. just thought i'd let those of you waiting know that I received an OOP offer today - but that I have declined it as I have already accepted another offer. So that means more movement on the waiting list... good luck to those still waiting!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right, so I called her as promised. I'll post the answers to questions:

1) Approximately how many people are on the OOP waiting list right now?

She said that she didn't have those stats, she wasn't sounding cryptic or anything, it just seemed like since offers have started going already, she couldn't tell off the top of her head how many people were still on the list. She did say that offers have already started going out. Since she wasn't sure about the numbers, I didn't bother asking her how many OOP spots are still available, especially since it's in such a dynamic phase right now.

2) How long do people have to respond once they are made an offer?

She said right now they are giving people until June 15th, but will be shortening that down to a week after that.

3) Do you sent out offers in waves or as the declines come in?

She said that they are sending them out on a rolling basis as the declines come in, so not in waves. Which makes sense, 'cause it seems that people are slowly getting e-mails as opposed to receiving them in waves.

She was REALLY nice and understanding on the phone, she said that movement has been happening, and just stressed being patient for now. And with that, I believe the torch has been passed on to xylem for the next call?

She said that she didn't have those stats, she wasn't sounding cryptic or anything, it just seemed like since offers have started going already, she couldn't tell off the top of her head how many people were still on the list. She did say that offers have already started going out. Since she wasn't sure about the numbers, I didn't bother asking her how many OOP spots are still available, especially since it's in such a dynamic phase right now.

She said right now they are giving people until June 15th, but will be shortening that down to a week after that.

She said that they are sending them out on a rolling basis as the declines come in, so not in waves. Which makes sense, 'cause it seems that people are slowly getting e-mails as opposed to receiving them in waves.

She was REALLY nice and understanding on the phone, she said that movement has been happening, and just stressed being patient for now. And with that, I believe the torch has been passed on to xylem for the next call?

No doubt my waitlist friends - the next call will be mine! I think next wed is a good day? We'll take a vote. Also, post questions you would like me to ask!

No! Don't call Dr. Gecko - it'll bring bad luck to our group. The torch has already been passed on...to me!

I'm going to call on wed guys - so hang tight and hold on for another day. I'll update asap when I get home from work.

Anyway, I think DrGecko should be one of the first of us to hear good news (and fishy81 too) b/c you got an interview as OOP with calgary too, which is quite a feat...I didn't get an interview with calgary or MUN, so i'm probably near the bottom of this list.

Lets share our stats and theorize about our relative positions on the waitlist!! Then WHEN we get called off the waitlist we can make conclusions about the scoring system.

Mine:

MCAT 37S (U of M score = 12.5)

AGPA = let's say 4.0 (maybe a bit less, but i made the cutoff..)

So based on my totally arbitrary theory about the U of M scoring system, I give myself:

MCAT: 41.6666... out of 50 (=12.5/15)

AGPA: 5 out of 10 (on a scale where 3.6=0 and 4.5=10)

Score: 46.6666... /60

Interview: good but maybe not spectacular, who knows... two of my most shining moments, that i relive daily, were when i basically said investment in infrastructure and science was more important than less "valuable" things like the arts... and when i ranted about why volunteering hours are a poor way to assess med school candidates.

I feel like emailing my interviewers to let them know that even if i dont get in, I do look at both sides of the issues, i swear! I just got caught up in the moment.

here's a thought (not to be a party pooper or anything)

Dr. Gecko, you have some stellar stats, especially that MCAT (I had a 39R which isn't bad either in my opinion and my GPA is 4.3). However, I know someone who got in with a 35 and a 4.0 GPA (OOP). This person rejected their spot though.

That being said, I think the variability on the interview portion is too much for us to say anything. an 11.75 MCAT = 39/50. Dr. Gecko's and my MCAT reach 41/42 tops. When you still have 40 points to play around with, I don't know how much predictability we have.

this coming from me? wow. I'm such a party pooper on this end, but that's my view anyways, let me know what you guys think.

moose

Thanks for the kind words xylem29, but it looks like I don't have the best stats here. Those are some really nice stats, guys. Here's mine:

MCAT=36R, AGPA=4.1, but I'm finishing off my masters, which I thought should help a lot, but here I am...

I do think I have a lot of ECs though, and don't they go into the score as well?

Grade 10 piano, black belt, cooking competition, various volunteering experiences, etc...

As for the interview, I thought it had gone well, but I'm starting to think if I had come off as being too opinionated. Who knows, eh?

Looks like I'm the lowest one here:

35Q and I don't know what my AGPA is and I'm too lazy to figure it out, but at my undergrad school I had a 3.9/4.0.

I did calculate my MCAT score and a 35Q comes to exactly 11.5. Anyway, I think we're all pretty much similar in terms of our numbers, give or take...although moose buddy, with a 39 MCAT and agpa of 4.3, you could get into harvard and other similar schools...anyway, yea, back to my point. We gotta remember that we are 60 out of ~ 600 OOP applicants who got a cutoffs based interview, so I think that numbers wise, we're all pretty much equal. The great determiner is of course the PAS score...which nobody knows how they actually score it!

What is the break down of it? How much is our interview weigh in the PAS? Our ECs? Our Essays and LORs? These are important things to know!!

Also, reading your posts - it seems like the questions asked in the interviews are very inviting of very opinionated responses! Because I also expressed my views quite strongly to those questions! It was just soooo inviting and easy....

Lets share our stats and theorize about our relative positions on the waitlist!! Then WHEN we get called off the waitlist we can make conclusions about the scoring system.

Mine:

MCAT 37S (U of M score = 12.5)

AGPA = let's say 4.0 (maybe a bit less, but i made the cutoff..)

So based on my totally arbitrary theory about the U of M scoring system, I give myself:

MCAT: 41.6666... out of 50 (=12.5/15)

AGPA: 5 out of 10 (on a scale where 3.6=0 and 4.5=10)

Score: 46.6666... /60

Interview: good but maybe not spectacular, who knows... two of my most shining moments, that i relive daily, were when i basically said investment in infrastructure and science was more important than less "valuable" things like the arts... and when i ranted about why volunteering hours are a poor way to assess med school candidates.

I feel like emailing my interviewers to let them know that even if i dont get in, I do look at both sides of the issues, i swear! I just got caught up in the moment.

I also did that!

i've got a 37R and i think 4.07 agpa

i pretty much agree with what everybody has mentioned so far, it seems like postions on the OOP waitlist depend a lot on the PAS score esp. since ppl with lower stats have already received offers (although I'm surprised moose you havent received an offer yet, i'd think those type of stats would almost guarantee a spot at UofM)

Guys, I gonna be the optimistic one here and say there's definitely hope. Yesterday wasn't the Monday, but maybe next Monday will be.

You guys have some stellar stats, UM should be begging to have you as students. I wish you guys the best of luck.

On the topic of the arts/science thing, I don't think a strong opinion would have done you much good. I mentioned how arts are important especially considering how multicultural manitoba is. People can identify with themselves, their heritage, etc. through art. And I mentioned how we are human and culture will always be a crucial aspect of our lives (especially as our lives become more fast-paced and people lose touch with who they are). I know, I know, how touching, haha....

I started speaking out of my ass about folklorama and other events that "bring people together", etc. etc..... Ultimately I finished with mentioning that some people might not view the funding of arts as necessary, considering the dire state of health care funding in the present/future.

I'm personally still optimistic, as the OOP waitlist was still moving in mid-end July over the past two years.

Xylem, when you call tomorrow, you could try asking approximately how many OOP spots are still available (as things should be a little more definitive now as opposed to last week when I called).

Xylem, when you call tomorrow, could you ask how many OOP applicants actually initially accepted than withdrew, and how many simply declined upon the offer?

I'm just trying to gauge how long we may need to wait...

Am I the next in line to make the call after Xylem?

Archived