Premed 101 Forums

Palm/PocketPC/SmartPhone? Which, if any, for first year?

You don`t really need one 1st and 2nd. Clerkship is when they come in handy...but since there will be newer, better models in 2 years, might as well wait until then to get one :)

Once you start you can also take some time to ask around what programs people like etc. before you buy.

Depends on your personal style. I've had a PDA since '98 and would die without my Zaurus, but a lot of people get along just fine with paper, pencil and the computers in the library.

Technology-wise, pretty much everybody in my class has a cellphone, the vast majority have laptops, and a sizable minority have PDAs/smartphones/crackberries etc.

• 3 weeks later...

When 2nd year ends and 3rd year begins, PDAs go from being a "lavish, unnecessary accessory" to a "virtual necessity."

Anyone who is in 1st or 2nd year and says they live or die by their PDA (there are about 2 in my class) is probably a mobile phone salesman, or that obsessive person that was well-hated throughout the pre-med club as the most uptight pre-med in club history. You aren't either....right?

Personally, I timed my mobile phone plan to expire right before 3rd year, and plan to get a nice, slim PDA slash cell phone (such as the Motorola Q, should they have made an updated version by then).

Anyone who is in 1st or 2nd year and says they live or die by their PDA (there are about 2 in my class) is probably a mobile phone salesman, or that obsessive person that was well-hated throughout the pre-med club as the most uptight pre-med in club history. You aren't either....right?

I'm...unique. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The programs I've used most often are a drug reference and a general medical reference such as PEPID. I also like the UCSF hospitalist handbook that is available in ISILO format. Depending on the rotation, there are also specialty specfic handbooks (the CCS series provides their books in PDF format), and free calculators out there. Someone in preclerkship might benefit from Medical Eponyms and a medical dictionary to look things up in class.

Archived