Premed 101 Forums

Work/Activites... what to say?

Another question though....

If you have other stuff to say already, is it worth putting in recreational activities? like playing basketball x hrs/week?

will this show something to an AdCom? obviously, these are fun things one does for kicks and doesnt do them to impress an AdCom, but you do have to play your cards right.

know what i means?

You want to show the adcom who you are, and recreational activities do say something about you. If you want to put them in, you can always clump similar activities together into one entry and talk about them separately in the description.

• 4 weeks later...

you know for the activities, what about format?

Is it better to have point-form, to the point resume like language, or should it be more like a description in proper sentence form as if you were talking to someone?

BTW, there was some AdCom member on SDN answering these kinda questions, with an avatar pic of the Eiffel Tower, but I cant find the thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

tanks.

Word. Thanks Jochi, you were right...the Mentor "Madame" was the one I sought, but I couldnt find an answer to the question i posted a bit earlier.

Do you have any ideas? I'll keep looking, but just wondering if you might know which format is more appropriate.

For now, I've been writing in full sentence form and it all flows nice... but the character counts are like 1100 charactaers!!!! YI-KEES! I feel that I'm writing too much and AdCom will pitch it.

I've seen varying opinions on SDN. I don't think any format is preferable. Do what feels natural to you - if the activity was intensive and personally important to you, give it more space than you would to an activity which didn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

• 4 weeks later...

well, in the SDN forum, there's this LizzyM, who's an adcom member,

and she was adamant on the point that "short and sweet" is better than going all out about the experience.

I mean, they do have to go through hundreds of applications..

reckon it can't be fun to read em all

it makes it easier for the applicants as well, don't it..

yet, i guess you should carefully craft your words since you want to show that you took the time and effort to write them up

well, in the SDN forum, there's this LizzyM, who's an adcom member,

and she was adamant on the point that "short and sweet" is better than going all out about the experience.

I mean, they do have to go through hundreds of applications..

reckon it can't be fun to read em all

it makes it easier for the applicants as well, don't it..

yet, i guess you should carefully craft your words since you want to show that you took the time and effort to write them up

this is good advice. I would also focus on what you did and accomplished.

Archived