Premed 101 Forums

UofT or McGill

ace44

I need help choosing between UofT and mcgill med schools. Anyone who is from montreal and is in the same situation please share your thought process. I realize this is a personal question and that everyones situation is unique, but id still like to hear what people have to say. Which med school are you choosing and why?

Thanks.

I have many friends at UoT from various years and I think the one advantage that McGill has over UoT is the lower tuition. However, UoT has a better reputation and there are more opportunities to obtain the specialization in your desired field. It also has more PBL compared to McGill in terms of the style of teaching. My friends have claimed that there is better exposure to various types of patients because UoT is affiliated with many of the best hospitals in Canada like the Hospital for Sick Children. Overall I guess if money is an issue, then choose McGill. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

both are great schools and congratulations on getting into both schools and having an opportunity to make a choice between these schools. whichever you pick, you can't go wrong. both schools offer a similar teaching style (lots of traditional didactic teaching) and have many teaching hospitals where you will be exposed to many specialties and types of patients. Both are research heavy schools and not really PBL focused schools (such as Mcmaster). Both have excellent reputations although other people on this forum have mentioned that McGill tends to be better known in the U.S.

Tuition can make a big difference and Montreal has a much lower cost of living (and in my opinion, the best city in canada...)

Archived