Premed 101 Forums

Good waitlist - let's figure out our odds

Hey,

I had an idea. I thought I read somewhere that interview scores were assigned specific values (i.e. 4, 3.75, 3.6, 3.5...) Based on other posts that I've read, interview scores are typically bunched up, which means a lot of us probably scored the same and it's just our marks that separate us. We could then post our marks and figure out where we rank against eachother to give us some kind of idea about where we stand in the waitlist. I don't know how comfortable everyone is posting their marks (I know a lot of people do post their stats in other threads though), but it might help us put our minds at ease a bit.

I'll go first...wGPA: 3.92

Hey just a thought- maybe everyone got around the same interview score and so marks came in again and decided- I've heard the average wgpa of people invited for interview was 3.87 and for people accepted on the 15th was something ridiculous like a 3.95! were there like almost 80 or so people over a 3.93 or 4?

Hey,

I'm new on here, but I decided to post my stats too, as I'm also on the waitlist. I'm based on a 4.3 scale at my school, but I think I calculated my wGPA correctly and it is like 3.95. So I'm assuming there is a big chunk of people that got accepted that are above 3.95. Lets just hope that there is also a big chunk that have decided to go to other schools!! :D

wow... 3.87 for average invited and 3.95 for accepted on the 15th.... this is an indirect question but ..... does the selection process go by.... cutoff for g.p.a .... if you meet that its out the window.... then now look at your sketch and if you meet that you get an interview.... and then g.p.a just comes into effect again after interview....

Here's how I see it:

Of the 107 people given first round offers for the anglo stream, probably 80 received a perfect 4.0 score on their interview. Although the remaining 27 people only scored 3.75 on the interview, they were given a first-round offer on the strength of their wGPA, which was likely ~3.93 and up. Hence, those "good" waitlisted people with a wGPA > 3.93 likely didn't receive a first-round offer because they scored 3.6 on the interview and are thus on the bottom of the "good" waitlist. Those "good" waitlisted people with a wGPA < 3.93 would have made the "bad" waitlist if they scored 3.6 on the interview, so these folks are probably near the top of the "good" waitlist.

I make this statement based on several people I know who had wGPA > 3.93, but never made it off the "good" waitlist.

Here's how I see it:

Of the 107 people given first round offers for the anglo stream, probably 80 received a perfect 4.0 score on their interview. Although the remaining 27 people only scored 3.75 on the interview, they were given a first-round offer on the strength of their wGPA, which was likely ~3.93 and up. Hence, those "good" waitlisted people with a wGPA > 3.93 likely didn't receive a first-round offer because they scored 3.6 on the interview and are thus on the bottom of the "good" waitlist. Those "good" waitlisted people with a wGPA < 3.93 would have made the "bad" waitlist if they scored 3.6 on the interview, so these folks are probably near the top of the "good" waitlist.

I make this statement based on several people I know who had wGPA > 3.93, but never made it off the "good" waitlist.

Your reasoning is correct based on your assumptions. But don't you think 80 people with a perfect interview score is too much? I would assume 30-40 got a 4.0 interview score and the rest got 3.75. I think it goes down by 0.25.

If your reasoning is correct then I would assume that the people who already posted their GPA's on this thread (i.e. above 3.91) would make the 27 people with a 3.75 interview score. unless those 27 people have really high GPA's (i.e. above 3.95).

I think the logic of the argument works...even if the exact numbers of people are wrong; however, it could breakdown if they went through all the 4.0s and 3.75s and then were started on the 3.6s...then they could still be at the higher part of the GPA pool...or I might just be tired after working far too many hours this week!

I don't know anymore...all this guessing work...but it sounds like there are people out there with more information than me! I guess we'll know soon enough...

I think the logic of the argument works...even if the exact numbers of people are wrong; however, it could breakdown if they went through all the 4.0s and 3.75s and then were started on the 3.6s...then they could still be at the higher part of the GPA pool...or I might just be tired after working far too many hours this week!

I don't know anymore...all this guessing work...but it sounds like there are people out there with more information than me! I guess we'll know soon enough...

This is exactly what I am thinking. There may be a few people left who got 3.75 (with lower GPAs than the 107 people) who may be at the top of the good wait list and then there is others who got lower than 3.75 (e.g. 3.6 or 3.5) and are also on the good waiting list (so then we'll be ranked based on our GPAs). There are different possibilities.

ive heard this too (but I heard 3.89 for people getting interviews)... however I cannot really believe all of this because say if an ottawa resident gets a g.p.a such as a 3.7 he/she would pass the cutoff and if they have a stellar sketch they still get an interview (I also heard that they made a cutoff of 3.89 or maybe it was 3.87 for people getting an interview but this cannot be true due to their selection process).

ive heard this too (but I heard 3.89 for people getting interviews)... however I cannot really believe all of this because say if an ottawa resident gets a g.p.a such as a 3.7 he/she would pass the cutoff and if they have a stellar sketch they still get an interview (I also heard that they made a cutoff of 3.89 or maybe it was 3.87 for people getting an interview but this cannot be true due to their selection process).

My GPA is 3.89 but I was put on the bad waitlist. I thought my interview had gone fine! I am so disappointed. My fourth year was really bad and I barely meet the cutoff for next year. If the average GPAs of candidates invited for interview actually was 3.87 this year, then I won't even have a chance for the 2007 cycle :( . Still hoping for a miracle, although I know that not even everyone on the good waitlist gets in!

well all I can say is that I think they do not have a set standard of g.p.a's for candidates invited for the interview. If you meet the cutoff g.p.a's are thrown out, then if you meet the sketch you get the interview and g.p.a comes in afterwards.... that is what is inferred from the admission selection process.

The only thing is that there are some people saying there is a set cutoff for interviews and some not, I believe its not true and also the thing about g.p.a for those admitted being a 3.95... according to published data the entering class of 2006/2007 had an average g.p.a of 3.69 so we might be basing our 'statistics' on fiction rather than facts.

I am not entirely sure if they did change it to 50 % g.p.a , 50 % sketch, I was fairly certain that it was not like that as if you meet g.p.a then you move on to the sketch and you are judged on your sketch before interview... well that is what it looks like from the website and from the talks dr.hebert has given but i could be wrong

This year was slightly different than others.. previously, like eise said.. your wGPA once past the cutoff gets your sketch reviewed and that determines your interview status.

This year, it's the same thing, but once your sketch is evaluated that's weighted 50% and your wGPA makes up the other 50% and the combined score is used to grant interviews.

every year until this one you would have been right, but this year was a little different. i took this from another thread. this is why the gpa cutoff is so high this year.

Archived