Premed 101 Forums

COMPAS

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

A big caveat: I just heard today that, apparently OMSAS will not be extending the meds application deadline this year, in the event of server slowness due to last-minute application submission surges. This was done last year (I believe one week's extension was provided) but apparently this will not be the case this year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest rosie7172

Hey Kirsteen-

I figured I'd add on to that caveat to anyone who is filling out OMSAS. Last year, it was basically impossible to get anything done at normal hours within a week or so of the deadline. I literally waited until 2:30-3am to log on because the traffic slowed me down to a crawl (with a 56K modem). This was especially problematic for the personal sketch if I remember correctly. I found it really helpful to do everything on microsoft word, and then paste in when I was done.

Good luck to everyone!

Guest wileycoyote

Kirsteen: what is your source on this info?

also, is this because they have upgraded the servers and software to handle the load (remember that processor has doubled over the last year, and hardware scales with no effort) and they expect no slow downs close to the deadline this year?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there wileycoyote,

My source for the info is one of my Princeton Review instructors, not an OMSAS official. However, in saying that, this person seems pretty up on other bits of info, having taught the PR MCAT course for years, and being pretty heavily embroiled in the med school application business, she also seems to have some interesting connections to intriguing bits of info. In any case, it's tough to corroborate the info at this point, but it's best to tackle the application submission a bit in advance, anyway, just in case.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

I wouldn't count on an extension this year. If they always extend the deadline, what is the point of having one? That said, last year we all received a nasty e-mail from OMSAS with two weeks left before the deadline saying that there was "absolutely no way" come hell, high water, monsoon, attack by UFO, earthquake or complete power-failure in all of North America that the deadline would be extended. But we all know what happened two weeks later.....So, no matter how official your info (and it might be very official) you never can know what OMSAS is going to do. Best idea: get your app done ASAP and then you won't have to worry!

Cheers!

Guest MayFlower

I completely agree with aneliz...the faster the apps are done, the faster one can get on with the several months of waiting....

Hey aneliz, it's nice to see you around...I exchanged email recently with TimmyMax...he said he recently had the pleasure of meeting you...he said you are a really nice person and he hopes there are more people like you in your class this year...

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm sure there will be. Most of the interviewees I met during the interview weekends were pretty wicked.

Still not sure when I'll be back in O-town Mayflower.

Guest aneliz

Hey Peter!

Its good to see you around too! My life has been a little stressful these last couple of months....you would think that the stress level would decrease when you get an acceptance letter....but nope!!! It is just the beginning! I think that I have finally gotten everything sorted out for my move to London and registration/orientation etc, but man, it has been a challenge to get it all done, especially while working two jobs and taking one last distance ed course to finish my undergrad degree!

And, it has taken me this long to figure out that Peter = Mayflower. I should have clued in earlier...but I didn't.... (Truthfully, I didn't expend that much effort trying to figure out who Mayflower was....but I always thought it strange that you just disappeared off the boards after that fateful day in early June....doh!!!! I am not the quickest sometimes!) I wish you all the best in the up-coming application cycle! :)

Guest MayFlower

Thanks aneliz...I'm not the kind of person who typically gives up or who disappears...the whole uofo incident really upset me...but I usually get over stuff like that pretty quick...

I'm sorry to hear things are so hectic and stressful for you. Be sure you try to get at least a week to do nothing before you start school this september...it might be a while before you get to do it again!

Take care.

Peter

Guest MayFlower

Nice to hear from you. Hopefully you'll come down one of these days...this time we'll have to make sure we can have a good night of drinking with no other stressors interfering!

Peter

Archived