Premed 101 Forums

what category for shad?

Guest shad

sorry.. short for shad valley.. i didn't clarify because anybody out there who knows the answer to my question, also would have known what i was talking about... :)

Guest tutifruti

My interviewers didn't seem to know what shad was! )o.

I put it in JOB section! I thought it would be a good idea to put it there because I spent much more time in Shad than other of my ECs (Shad was a full time program, abit like a job). Moreover I thought that the JOB section, being just under the EDUCATION section and above the ECS (or VOLUNTEER WORK) section was a strategic position! Since adcomms are not likely to ask questions about your past education (that was my perception), I thought that the first batch of question I would have would come from the JOB section. Indeed they did asked me a question on it.

I am shad alumnus 2000 and you?!

Guest peachy3

I would be suprised if, say, Toronto interviewers knew what it was, but also surprised if Mac interviewers didn't :) Which school asked you about it?

Interesting to put it in the jobs section. I'll have to think about that. I guess putting it as "other" really shunts it to the end .. it's less recent for me, though, since I'm from 98. I'm also thinking of putting the Shad Cup separately, maybe under research.

ottawa asked. they don't hold a shad event.

shad cup? nahh that doesn't go in research! maybe under award (did your team win)? if not, maybe under ECs. Research section is more for grad students, 4th year honours project or summer NSERC recipients (academic research).

nah don't put it in other!

Guest peachy3

I can see the cup as either extracurricular or awards, but I also see it as research. After all, we invented and built an original product .. maybe it's not typically what people would list under research, but then again, maybe it's an interesting spin on it instead! It taught me as much about research as certain parts of NSERC experiences did. :)

Guest tuti fruits

It depends on how you spent your time at shad, if you believe you spent much time doing research than it would be a good idea to put it in the research section. Actually it may be a very good idea since all my entries (2) in the RESEARCH section were discussed during the interview. Just remember the put emphasis on TEAM work or team research while you were at Shad.

Good luck!

Guest interviewer

I know a person who thought Shad was the greatest thing and put Shad this Shad that. He didn't even get an interview. Don't over exemplify this activity. It really isn't that impressive.

nah Shad is not very impressive and I don't brag about it. It was a nice and FUN experience and I had the chance to meet alot of people from across Canada.

I did the IB and skip one year of uni.

Archived