Premed 101 Forums

Swimming

Guest swimmer

Guest swimmer

Where would you put awards for winning Swimming Competition...under the "Awards/Accomplishments" or "ExtraCirricular" section?

I'm having quite the time deciding....at the risk of sounding nit picky, what would be the "duration" of that swimming award (the competition was on one day, and literally took less than 4 min :) )

Should I put something like 1999/02-1999/02 ?

thanks!!!!!!!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, you are nit-picking. . . but don't worry about it. Most of the rest of us did the same thing when we were filling out our OMSAS apps.

Depending on how many awards & extracurrics you have (ie if one category looks much less impressive) I'd stick that under awards. And the date would probably be that month until that month - I think that's how I did my awards. But I don't think this is the kind of thing that could disqualify an application.

Why not put Swimming under EC, and the actual award under Awards?

Don't you think of them as two different things.? Thats the way I did it.

Congrats on the award by the way. What level swimming do you compete at? Do you still swim?

Stuff like this is great interview material. I'm sure once you start your interviews, you will hear many a question directed at this activity.... or conversely, you could use it as an example for answering your questions.

What did you learn from this activity?

What do you do for fun?

Most memorable experience.... etc.

Guest swimmer

Nah,

I dont swim anymore....it was a big thing for me though in high school. Those 3 hour chemistry and bio labs back to back (one in the morning, other in the afternoon) just about rendered me dead...but perhaps this year will be different.

Cheers,

S.S.

P.S. How about you? Are you a swimmer too? Did you go to OFssa (cant remeber the exact acronym) while in highschool?

My post was probably misleading.... what I was trying to say was that I put an extra-curricular in the EC section, but if I won an award, I listed it in the awards section despite receiving it from an already listed activity.

I do like to swim though....

Archived