Premed 101 Forums

Post May 29th Acceptances

Dante, every time I log into this site and see that you've responded to a thread, I keep on hoping that it's to say that you've been offered a spot. I've kind of given up hope at this point, but I'm following just in case. I think it's the biggest pity that you haven't been accepted at Queen's because you seem to be the biggest fan. (As a side-note, I also think its a big pity I haven't been accepted at Queen's - which was my first choice - but I'm trying to psych myself up for med school abroad.)

I'm rooting for you, man ;-)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dante, every time I log into this site and see that you've responded to a thread, I keep on hoping that it's to say that you've been offered a spot. I've kind of given up hope at this point, but I'm following just in case. I think it's the biggest pity that you haven't been accepted at Queen's because you seem to be the biggest fan. (As a side-note, I also think its a big pity I haven't been accepted at Queen's - which was my first choice - but I'm trying to psych myself up for med school abroad.)

I'm rooting for you, man ;-)

i too am rooting for dante and hannah!

hahaha wow thanks everyone... sorry to dissapoint! probably will have to root for me next year :P hopefully one of these days I can make you all proud :D I'm reminded of a weird analogy my high school calculus teacher used to explain asymptotes: it doesn't matter how much you like a girl, if she doesn't like you back, you'll never get together... i guess the same is true for med school :( good luck to everyone still waiting!

Thanks Bayervillage. There is something about you (through internet posting) that I liked as well.

I'm routing for myself also. But I haven't felt like anyone who has already been accepted has deserved the acceptance less than myself.

You all make me feel like we are all in this together rather than competing which is very nice.

I know this is reiterating what has been said by others, but here's what Jennifer Saunders told me in an e-mail. She said the class isn't full and that they're still making offers. She's unable to tell me my position on the list (for the record, I didn't ask her to tell me) or the number of people left on the list. But she did say that my name appears about midway on the current list. Finally, she said that once the class is full, those remaining on the waitlist will be notified.

I'm not sure whether being midway on the list is good or bad - it's hard to tell unless you know the number of people left on the list. My guess, and this is just speculation, is that there's around 60 of us left on the list?? In any case, I'm not going to count on receiving an offer and will make plans for this fall. If one just happens to come my way, great! If not, so be it.

IMy guess, and this is just speculation, is that there's around 60 of us left on the list??

I think there is more than 60 on the list. There were over 400 people origionally on it and i really dont think they have already gone 340 ppl down already when they usually on go about 100-150 down the list.

i'd assume there'd be about 150 left on the list in the end... assuming the total # of people invited for interviews are ~500, 100 initially got offers, i'd assume at least 150 were removed from the list or the class by the 29th of may since they've gotten acceptances elsewhere, and I'd assume by the end (which is probably near) ~100 offers will have been made to the waitlist. I'm sure there are others who get offers from other schools while waitlisted at Queen's, so there may even be less remaining on the list in the end. Good luck everyone... at this point, we'll need it :P

Well, I guess that's the end of that :(

Too bad I didn't come up with a backup plan...

HannaLee I haven't lost hope myself.... Those two individuals who haven't responded to Queens I believe had June 22nd as a deadline (if not earlier) same as dh79. (See this thread June 20th)

They have chosen not to respond in time for the deadline (unless they are away from the internet completely) and it is already Tuesday. I think this means that they are more likely to respond no to Queens.

But unless they are touring the amazon or exploring the artic I think everyone on the waitlist (who still hasn't been offered someplace else) is avidly checking their email and would probably respond to Queens asap rather than risk going over the deadline....

whether chances this year are over or not (my vote is for over), I don't think you should take it to be the end of the world... so you take a year off and work (or travel, or sleep, or etc...) instead of pressing on with more schooling, you apply again next year and you're guaranteed to get interviews in a few places at least... that's better than what thousands of people got this year being rejected pre-interview. I'm certainly counting my blessings, and maybe I'll see some of the current waitlisters at Queens or elsewhere as the class of 2012 :D yes i realize i'm getting waaay too ahead of myself, but think of it this way: it could be worse. You could have to re-write the mcat, or enroll yourself in grad school in order to boost your gpa in order for you to even be considered for an interview. Chin up everyone :D

I guess it sucks knowing that on paper I was good, but apparently in person, not as impressive. I blame my flippity-floo retired community member who took my statement regarding foreign doctors practicing in canada to imply i condoned stealing doctors in south africa (at least I had studied a lot about the S.African healthcare system but it still threw me off :rolleyes: )...yup, all him...not me...hahaha...

Stats...check. how to work on personality/interview skills? hahaha, I kid i kid! I'm great, too bad med schools missed out this round!

I guess it sucks knowing that on paper I was good, but apparently in person, not as impressive. I blame my flippity-floo retired community member who took my statement regarding foreign doctors practicing in canada to imply i condoned stealing doctors in south africa (at least I had studied a lot about the S.African healthcare system but it still threw me off :rolleyes: )...yup, all him...not me...hahaha...

Stats...check. how to work on personality/interview skills? hahaha, I kid i kid! I'm great, too bad med schools missed out this round!

uh... well for both western and queens i think it's simply a numbers game that will get you to the interview stage... since queens takes your written statements to be worth 50% of the overall deal, i wouldn't ignore that aspect of the applicaton.

Dante, I really liked your post. A positive attitude is never a bad thing.

Hopefully my story can offer some hope for the future. At the end of my 4th year I had been rejected from all schools I applied to pre-interview. Due somewhat to a borderline GPA (although my 4th year gpa helped in the subsequent application cycle) and an MCAT with some holes in it (cough cough..verbal). I almost gave up on applying again, but after some serious thought about why I wanted to be a doctor and where I wanted to be in the next 10, 20, + years, I rewrote the MCAT and did things that I enjoyed to improve my application. I reapplied and took a gap year and worked abroad. My MCAT and updated GPA were better which granted me a few interviews. I strongly believe that my year away from academics really helped me achieve an enhanced perspective on what I wanted to do with an MD (although I'm sure the right grad program or other work experience may have the same effect). This also helped with the interview process. Then I was accepted in May to Queen's and waitlisted at the other 2 places I interviewed.

In one application cycle I went from thinking I was pretty much down and out to getting accepted. So to all those who have given a career in medicine some serious thought and are sure they're pursuing medicine for the right reasons don't give up hope.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

-Winston Churchill

Thank you MrCanuck for the personal story.

I am waitlisted at McMaster this year, but in some sort of dilemma right now. I will be defending my master's thesis the end of this summer. This means that I won't have time to rewrite the Mcat for the next application. So it will be 2 years before I may step into medical school (unless I get into the non-Mcat schools :D )...

I know that I want to be involved with mental health and therapy, and I keep vacillating between clinical psychology and medicine (psychiatry). There are pros and cons to both (like everything else), so it's hard to settle on one. Plus, admission rates for clinical psych programs aren't much higher than medicine. In fact it may be even lower because of the scarcity places.

What's next? (My committee members always ask me this question, and I have no answer now).

Mr. Canuck and Toroharo and others.... I really appreciate your sharing of stories, ambitions and dreams. It really makes me feel like this community of med applicants consists of intelligent and interesting people who are above all concerned about making a great impact through their profession.

I feel like applying for medical school is like applying for wings. I know I can get far on feet and I will if I must but with wings I can go so much farther and do so much more with wings that I can't help but keep hoping and keep building myself to the point where I am worthy enough (as deemed by admissions commitees aross the country) to be granted them.

That's your full recommended daily intake of cheese for the day. ;-)

yeah, I'm trying to stay decently positive about it all, but after a dismal academic this year (3.40) due to some severe family health issues (5 aunts/uncles with advanced cancer and grandmother's stroke leaving her left paralyzed) my chances are looking slim. I still have two years over 3.7 and an overall of something similar thanks to this year :rolleyes: as long as MCAT cutoffs don't change dramatically I should be able to manage some interviews for next year. I'm worried about the 'downward' trend in gpa (first year omsas 3.96)...sigh...states, here i come :(

yeah, I'm trying to stay decently positive about it all, but after a dismal academic this year (3.40) due to some severe family health issues (5 aunts/uncles with advanced cancer and grandmother's stroke leaving her left paralyzed) my chances are looking slim. :(

i'm sorry to hear that :(

life throws curve balls at us all the time...but its how we react to them that matters. you'll pull through if this is what you want.

Archived