Premed 101 Forums

US v.s Carribeans

My friend has recently applied to the Carribeans and the tuition seems to be a lot cheaper than the States while the medical education is just as good as north america. So what is the advantage of going to the US compared to the Carribeans in terms of residency matching, salary and the possibilityof returning to Canada?:P

As a Carib graduate you're an IMG, but as a US graduate, you're not, and hence can apply in the first round of the match.

Also, Caribbean schools are known to not care for their students too much - US schools will go out of their way to keep you in if you are not doing well in a block, but Caribbean will have no qualms about letting you go.

Carribean cheaper than the states? I thought its way more expensive. Do you have any figures?

One of my friends is at a carib school right now. He pays $8000US/semester for preclinical years and $11000US/semester for clinical years (figures may be a little off...but you get the idea). The school is trimestered so it comes out to just under what Canadians would be paying for US tuition.

As a Carib graduate you're an IMG, but as a US graduate, you're not, and hence can apply in the first round of the match.

Also, Caribbean schools are known to not care for their students too much - US schools will go out of their way to keep you in if you are not doing well in a block, but Caribbean will have no qualms about letting you go.

I believer there is a very small number schools that are LCME accredited..and therefore they WOULD HAVE put u in the first iteration

however now that IMGs are allowed in the first round..its not the issue anymore. Exposure is still a problem

I believer there is a very small number schools that are LCME accredited..and therefore they WOULD HAVE put u in the first iteration

however now that IMGs are allowed in the first round..its not the issue anymore. Exposure is still a problem

None of them are LCME accredited. Most are WHO accredited, meaning your MD has recognition by most countries...but that does not mean it will be recognized by all. Only a few carib schools will allow you to practice in all 50 US states, for instance. In Canada, you will have a very difficult time trying to get a residency position, as there are barely more than enough spots for our own medical students. In the US, you can secure a residency pretty easily; however, as a Canadian citizen, you will have to get sponsored for a work visa which very few hospitals will do. That means you're stuck to only getting a spot in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine and only in very undesirable locations that nobody else wants to apply to.

I was looking at this site http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

and there are 3 schools in pueto rico that are listed as LCME...has this changed?

Puerto Rico Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine Bayamon, PR 2011-2012

Ponce School of Medicine Ponce, PR 2008-2009

University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine San Juan, PR 2008-2009

someone confirm this?

From what I have heard, it's not easy securing a residency spot in the US if one goes to a Caribbean medical school. It's not that hard for US citizens that go to the Caribbean because they don't have to deal with getting sponsored for a visa. For Canadians, though, I think that you would have to get killer USMLE scores to have a decent shot. But if you are a Canadian graduate from a US med school, residency programs are more inclined to sponsor you for a visa.

And the Puerto Rico schools are very difficult (if not impossible) to get into if you don't know fluent Spanish or don't have strong ties to the area.

Caribbean schools should be considered a LAST resort. If you are thinking about the overseas option, look at the Atlantic Bridge program, which is specifically designed to facilitate Canadian students who want to attend the 6 schools in Ireland. If you are considering the Caribbean, then you must attend one of the big four schools: SABA, SGU, ACU, and Ross. They are referred to the big 4 schools because they have the best facilities and the longest history. Also, they have residency spots in all 50 states. Any other school in the Caribbean just isn't worth it IMHO. If you want detailed info about Caribbean medical schools, check out the SDN forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Or this forum which is dedicated and maintained by current Caribbean medical students:

http://www.valuemd.com

Good luck :)

I was looking at this site http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

and there are 3 schools in pueto rico that are listed as LCME...has this changed?

Puerto Rico Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine Bayamon, PR 2011-2012

Ponce School of Medicine Ponce, PR 2008-2009

University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine San Juan, PR 2008-2009

someone confirm this?

Puerto Rican schools are not considered "caribbean schools". Puerto Rico is a "part" of the US...I don't know what it's called exactly. Puerto Rican schools are listed in the MSAR as well (Medical School Admission Requirements).

Archived