Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement...

I have two questions regarding waitlist movement:

1) Is the first round of waitlist offers the biggest number of offers U of T makes from from the waitlist?

2) Do the first round of waitlist offers come out all on the same day or do they trickle out?

I ask these questions because it was to my understanding that the first round of offers from the waitlist are the biggest (I would say at least 50 offers) and they would give them out all on the same day. Considering only one person has said that they have gotten in off the waitlist and no one else on this forum, I am begining to question my understanding of waitlist movement.

Also, if you get in off the waitlist, please post here so those who are still waiting can guague the movement.

From the fact that only two people have received admission (according to this forum) in the last three days, it appears that they are trickling out.

One thing that I find surprising is why UT has started moving faster than they had originally forecasted. I am wondering if a significant proportion of applicants have declined the UT first round invitation, and UT is now trying to get a hold of those on the top of the waitlist before they accept another schools' invitation (pure speculation).

On a related note, I am sure many of you have asked yourself this question, how representative is this forum of the applicant community? The reason I inquire now, is that although 2 applicants have posted successful admission from the waitlist, we may not be aware of 10, 20, 30 ??? others who may have done so 'quietly'. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts/guesses/estimations.

af133, I totally agree with you that the forums may not be representative. That being said however, I would think people who are on the waitlist understand what it is like to be on the list and would inform others if they get in. I know I would do that. Moreover, I think the majority of people who stalk these boards at this time of year are the people on the waitlist. We do not know what is going on, the schools are not helpful, and this is the only place to get some information. If you look at the Ottawa forum, there is a lot of talk about the waitlist and people who got in off it.

You also propose an interesting theory that UT is scrambling becuase of an unexpect number of offers being declined and them wanting to give offers to the people at the top of their list before they are picked-up by another school. I thought something similar to this as well, except my theory was that these offers were made to few people the school really wanted in their class and that the rest of the offers will come at once after provisional acceptances became firm. My reasoning was that UT seems like a school where a lot of students want to go, so people who get into other schools and waitlisted at U of T will provisionally accept their offer hoping to hear from TO. This would cause other schools to loose a lot of people they want from their class. It has been stated on this forum that both Queen's and Mac had to make calls to people they rejected to fill in spots at the last minute. I think the reason why they had to fill these voids was because many provisionaly accpetances were turned down in favor of acceptances off waitlists at other schools with a "better" reputation. This would leave the rejected schools taking in students they deemed unacceptable already and could affect the schools reputation and stats on the board exam/residencey positions.

Obviously I have spent too much time coming up with semi-logical theories that can in no way be supported.

This confusion with the waitlist offers would be nullified if all the medical schools were open with their proceedures.

I have been reading these forums for awhile but haven't posted anything...but now I have some important info to share.

I just called Leslie Taylor, the admissions officer at UofT. She said there has been NO waitlist movement AT ALL. Apparently, they are waiting for some students to reply back and cannot make any offers until they hear from these students. Because she is the main person in charge of admissions (she was the one who gave us that speech during the interview!), I completely believe what she says.

I'm waitlisted at UofT, but I've been accepted at another Ontario school. I prefer UofT, but the provisional acceptance becomes firm this Friday. At this rate, I doubt any offers will go out before then.

..Just thought you other waitlisters would want to know..

I have been reading these forums for awhile but haven't posted anything...but now I have some important info to share.

I just called Leslie Taylor, the admissions officer at UofT. She said there has been NO waitlist movement AT ALL. Apparently, they are waiting for some students to reply back and cannot make any offers until they hear from these students. Because she is the main person in charge of admissions (she was the one who gave us that speech during the interview!), I completely believe what she says.

I'm waitlisted at UofT, but I've been accepted at another Ontario school. I prefer UofT, but the provisional acceptance becomes firm this Friday. At this rate, I doubt any offers will go out before then.

..Just thought you other waitlisters would want to know..

Here's my question - if provisional acceptances become firm this friday, how does this affect waitlist offers?

I always thought that people can only hold onto ONE acceptance and this information must be decided by the 29th of May - be it provisional or firm. As people who've been accepted at other schools in addition to Toronto respond back to OMSAS saying they provisionally/firmly accept, for example, Western, their acceptances to their other schools get declined --> resulting in offers being made to the waiting list. Because OMSAS releases this information to the schools every friday - the majority of responses (I'm assuming that most applicants did not hand in their responses until near the due date, while a few responded immediately following the 15th, which is why there was some movement the past week) do not reach the schools until June 1. By monday, schools should've received information on who has accepted and who has declined, and should now be able to see how many offers need to be made to their waitlists...it is possible for the staff to take today to just collect and compile the data, and then make offers starting tomorrow.

If an applicant has provisionally accepted at say Queens, but is waitlisted at Toronto, if they do not hear back from Toronto by June 8, their acceptance to Queens becomes firm and they are removed from all waiting lists, including Toronto.

If the way I understand the rules is correct, the 2nd "wave" of offers - which are offers to the waitlist - should take place starting today until June 8th.

After June 8th, all acceptances become firm and those accepted are removed from their waiting lists ---> resulting in the Ontario waiting lists being "filtered" or "refined" and only those with no acceptances remain on waiting lists - and the lucky few near the top of these lists will eventually get in over the course of the summer as few people sucessfully get deferrals or drop out of medicine completely.

It is also entirely possible that schools can decide to wait until after June 8th before making offers to the waiting list - even though they have all the information that they need starting today and their little "we'll make offers as soon as spots become available" claim would be a lie - but this doesn't make sense because this would be unfair to those with another acceptance who want to go to Toronto, but then get removed off the waiting list on the 8th.

As I said, I called Leslie Taylor, so I'm pretty sure whoever said they got off the waitlist was perhaps not telling the truth? I just don't get why anyone would do that.

But anyways, maybe if more people called her, they'd move the waitlist sooner! So dial away ppl..lol

as I posted in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted forum, I received an offer of admission on Thursday May 31 (in the offer package it says May 30, but I didn't get the email until May 31).

I had originally been waitlisted and have now been accepted, hence, the waitlist has moved.

as I posted in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted forum, I received an offer of admission on Thursday May 31 (in the offer package it says May 30, but I didn't get the email until May 31).

I had originally been waitlisted and have now been accepted, hence, the waitlist has moved.

So I guess Leslie Taylor was lying?

I also spoke with deborah last week and asked if they made offers from the wait list, and she had said that they have, but wouldnt tell me how many.

I also spoke with them today as to when they would be making more offers and she'd said they are still waiting for everyone to respond to initial offers of admission. Once they have those, I guess the waitlist will move again. For those who have received an offer of admission and have decided not to go to UFT, please let admissions know asap so they can get going with the waitlist.

please and thank you!

Wow, I guess this ON thing isn't as coordinated as I thought it was. Or I should say that the deadlines are very flexible.

I thought that OMSAS has information about where you're accepted, and once you accept one school - and notify OMSAS and that school of this - then OMSAS will decline all the other schools for you.

I didn't know you had to send forms into OMSAS for each individual school!!!! Like, if you get accepted by Queens and toronto - I thought you just have to let Queens & OMSAS know you'll accept and OMSAS will let toronto know you decline...so you have to send in forms to both schools???!!! Jeez, I could totally see people sending in their acceptances by the deadline, but taking their time with contacting the other schools about their declines....

Wow, I guess this ON thing isn't as coordinated as I thought it was. Or I should say that the deadlines are very flexible.

I am guilty of handing in my response late... a week late, in fact... U of T still wants me though, so I guess the deadline is flexible.

Best of luck to those that are on the waitlist!

Just so I do not come across as an a$$.... I am one of the deferrals; therefore, I was under the impression that since I have already sent in my froms to U of T and OMSAS last year, I do not have to do so again this year.

Until Deborah emailed me....

Again, good luck to all on the waitlist!

Archived