Premed 101 Forums

Graduate applicants

Hey

I am in graduate school, and will be applying in the 2007-08 cycle. I did a board search after looking at the Queens website, but neither is very informative as to how Queens looks at graduate students and GPAs.

I found this post: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10886

Hi. While preparing my application this year, I e-mailed Anne Cumpson with a similar question regarding graduate work. Here was her reply:

"We only look at graduate work if you do not make the gpa cut based on your undergraduate years. If that is the case, we will take three years at or above the gpa cut (this can be a combination of undergraduate and graduate). One of your three references should relate to your graduate work".

Hope this helps!

What do you think? Since when have they looked at three years (instead of all years or last two)? Is/was anybody here a grad student?

My OMSAS GPA for all four years of undergrad was less than 3.68 (oh boy). (I don't know what the exact GPA is but it should be ~3.6). My MCAT is BS12/VR11/PS10/WS R (33R).

I have read that if you fall below the GPA cut off, they will be more lenient if your GPA is slightly below. Now, what exactly qualifies as a GPA that is "slightly below the cut off"?

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions/graduate_students

I am finishing a master's degree in Clinical Engineering at the University of Toronto. I will be starting this fall, and my academic stats were lower than yours:

~3.54cGPA (undergrad in Systems Design Engineering at Waterloo), MCAT 11/10/10/P (P/V/B/WS)

As a graduate applicant, only the MCAT cutoff applies. This does not give you a free pass, but rather, a second closer look, if you meet their criteria:

• Applicants must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school;
  • Marks for undergraduate years must be considered satisfactory or demonstrate a rising trend;
  • The subcommittee will assess the suitability of the candidates performance and if the graduate degree was completed at an accredited university;
  • If the subcommittee determines that the applicant is suitable, they will be invited for an interview.

Obviously, the introduction of some subjectivity into the process means that you can't be sure you will get an interview. "Academic" stats-wise, mine were inferior; your other activities and your personal statements will be additional variables that I can't speak to. But it is still very possible to get through the process, so by all means, apply since you have nothing to lose!

Best of luck! I've answered similar questions several times now, so let's keep the discussion in this thread so all may benefit.

What I would actually be interested to know is are there any grad students that didn't make the GPA cut-offs, made the MCAT cut-offs and DIDN'T get an interview. I know many qualified grad students that didn't make the GPA cut-off, but got an interview. Also, I believe at least 3-4 people on this Queens board fit that profile. So it seems they give a lot of leeway for grad students.

I think a lot of that has to do with students that become graduate students to begin with. Though it was not the case for me, many students realize that their undergraduate GPAs won't get them far in the application process, and that they enjoy research enough that they'll give the master's a shot while continuing to apply.

I'd guess that the graduate students you do know that have been successful in getting interviews have marks that show the upward trend mentioned in previous posts that are indicative of adaptation and adjustments to their study skills, time management, or area of study. As the first poster mentioned, the graduate supervisor's reference may be the key for a graduate student to avoid being trapped by the undergraduate GPA cutoff.

I think I'm the lowest cGPA posted in the acceptance thread so far!

I think I'm the lowest cGPA posted in the acceptance thread so far!

I'll take a run at that record ;) my cGPA is something like 3.2 :eek: with a 3.5 over my last two years. That being said, in my Masters, I was at the very top of all of my classes.

I think that the committee realizes that getting a Masters or PhD is more than just getting good marks in your classes. Most people are going to get an A, so marks are just part of the equation.

I agree that your supervisor's letter has a lot of weight. Papers or abstracts are also an indication of what you were up to during grad school. Being involved with the department, etc probably helps too.

If I were evaluating the grad applicants I would also take into account their score on the MCAT as an indication of academic ability. Did they crush it, or just barely make the cutoff?

Essentially, if you are still doing the things you would do in undergrad to get into med, keep doing them during grad school and they will try and give you an interview.

Cheers!

...not often you see acceptees jousting over who has the LOWEST admitted undergrad GPA. Kinda refreshing in an odd way.

pardon the interruption!! :P

Only graduate students!!

Yeah, I just posted it to illustrate the kind of leeway that they will give. Granted, I have some other circumstances with my grades...

The point is, if you have/are in a graduate program, apply to Queens.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Archived