Premed 101 Forums

Accesibility / Other Maritimers?

I've accepted Ottawa U, but I am also trying to decide between Dalhousie. One thing that I have found strong about Dal is that it has a really centrally located campus; almost everyone walks max 10-15 mins to everything. I find Ottawa U's campus a little remote as compared with other campuses I have seen. Everyone emphasizes that the bus service is great there, but in reality, how does this work out when you are at the library until 1 am some mornings.... is the shuttle bus that goes between the two campuses still 3x / hr at those late night/early morning times. Furthermore, do most students study at the library @ RGH or do they use one at the main campus.

I have the highest regard for both schools, and I can't really see any difference in their curricula from what I have researched, minus of course Ottawa's laptop program. Does anyone have any experience with the decision I am trying to make (i am from new brunswick) and apparently there are quite a few maritimers there....are you only there because you got in only at Ottawa, or because you felt Ottawa had something astounding to offer ?

I think I could see myself at just about any Canadian med school, because they are all just as good!

Any feedback would be appreciated,

BG

I've accepted Ottawa U, but I am also trying to decide between Dalhousie. One thing that I have found strong about Dal is that it has a really centrally located campus; almost everyone walks max 10-15 mins to everything. I find Ottawa U's campus a little remote as compared with other campuses I have seen. Everyone emphasizes that the bus service is great there, but in reality, how does this work out when you are at the library until 1 am some mornings.... is the shuttle bus that goes between the two campuses still 3x / hr at those late night/early morning times. Furthermore, do most students study at the library @ RGH or do they use one at the main campus.

I have the highest regard for both schools, and I can't really see any difference in their curricula from what I have researched, minus of course Ottawa's laptop program. Does anyone have any experience with the decision I am trying to make (i am from new brunswick) and apparently there are quite a few maritimers there....are you only there because you got in only at Ottawa, or because you felt Ottawa had something astounding to offer ?

I think I could see myself at just about any Canadian med school, because they are all just as good!

BG

I can offer my opinion, limited as it may be, as somebody from the Maritimes who got into both Dal and Ottawa. I did my Master's in the Tupper building for 2 years at Dal and I got to know the facilities and some of the students quite well. Dal is a very good school and definitely has a strong reputation. That being said, I think Ottawa is a superior school in terms of academics and facilities. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that is based on my own experiences with both schools, including speaking with the numerous friends I have in Dal meds right now.

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum to see lots of reasons why Ottawa is great :) Personally, I chose Ottawa for a few reasons:

1) I was more impressed with RGN than I was with Tupper.

2) I was more impressed with the city of Ottawa than I was with Halifax. It gets pretty redundant there after awhile.

3) I've been in the Maritimes my whole life and wanted to leave for awhile.

4) There are more opportunities in Ottawa for things like electives and I think I'll get more exposure in clerkship here in Ottawa, compared to if I was still in Halifax. This is because there are so many hospitals here, like CHEO, the Heart Institute etc.

I'm sure I could think of a few more reasons, but dinner is calling. Good luck with your choice :)

PS: You'll never have to worry about transportation in Ottawa. The bus system in Ottawa is infinitely superior to the one in Halifax. I know that Tupper is downtown and within walking distance to a lot of things, and RGN is further from downtown Ottawa, but you get used to it. Plus you can live in Sandy Hill area if you want to be close to downtown, lots of people in my class live there. Never ever ever worry about not getting a bus home from RGN at some point. You should never have to be at the library till 1am, under any circumstances :P Anyways, the library closes at 12am usually and I the 85 stops running around that time.

Hi there!

Well, I think the good news is that you'll be really happy no matter what your decision. I never heard a med student tell me they didn't think their program was the best, so I'm guessing you'll decide you made the right call no matter what you choose. Since you asked, I'm giving you my 2 cents as to why Ottawa anyway. Keep in mind I'm probably biased :D. I realize I'll be repeating much of what was already on that sticky or mentioned in JayP's post, but... oh well :P

I haven't actually applied to Dal & so I can't really comment on their program... What drew me to Ottawa is just the location... I can't wait to go skating on the canal, cross-country and downhill sking in the winter and biking and rollerblading in the summer. There are tons of shows at the National Arts Center, great festivals in the summer, and awsome restaurants. You're just next door to awsome outdoor adventures and really close to Montreal & Toronto if you want a big city feel/concerts/festivals. I haven't lived in Halifax, so I don't know it as well, but it's just not as central. Also, as I'm also from NB, I feel like I already got to know the Maritimes preaty well, I want to try something different...

As for the transport, an other idea might be to live close to the Hurdman bus station (ie around Riverside Dr.), busses go downtown almost around the clock, and you can always walk/take a cab to the RGN campus if it's the middle of the night, since it's not very far. I was kind of planing on studying at home when it gets late though, it would save me the trouble. Apparently the laptop program helps to make that possible :)

Well, good luck with your decision! Let us know if you decide to join our class, we'll all go celebrate before the year starts:D

BG

Congrats on multiple acceptances!

The buses are pretty great in Ottawa. The free shuttle bus schedule can be found here:

http://www.protection.uottawa.ca/en/shuttlergn.html

Although the last bus leaves RGN @ 21:10 you can also catch the 85 or 16 (city buses) that stop right infront of RGN.

The 16 schedule can be found here: http://www.octranspo.com/Timetables_DB/Current_TT/index.asp?route=16&wday=wke&dir=1 (last bus leaves RGN around 22:39).

The 85 bus schedule is here:

http://www.octranspo.com/mapscheds/currenttables/times/nodes085wke1.htm (last bus leaves at 00:20).

A campus downtown vs out of downtown has both advantages and disadvantages for each. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find that discussion somewhere. Ultimately it's about what is most important to you!

You can study in RGN library until 11pm. The PBL rooms are open 24/7. There's a combination you'll get when you arrive that lets you into the PBL room area. Also, the anatomy lab is open 24/7 as well for late night studying. Some students study only at home, some in RGN, main campus libraries, PBL rooms and some do a mixture of all of the above. Figure out what works best for you and stick with that. Your study habit got you this far, no need to change now.

As someone else mentioned, Ottawa as a city and surrounding areas (you shouldn't just focus ONLY on the school I feel) have a lot to offer as mentioned above.

I hope I've helped somewhat.

Archived