Premed 101 Forums

Question from out of towner...

Guest gc

Hi,

I had a couple of questions... first, is it true that Ontario schools don't separate spots based on out of province and in province students?

Secondly, I am starting my third year at U of M. Took a full load my first year, a couple of summer courses between 1st and 2nd year, then a slightly less than full couse load second year. (I will be taking a full course load my third year) Am I eligible to apply to most ontario schools? It often says on the websites two full years are required. I wasn't sure if that has to be 1st and 2nd year or can also include the year that you are in while applying.

THank you

Hi gc,

You have a few different questions, so I will try to answer some in broad strokes. For more details, you may want to post questions to the school-specific forums or check out each school's website.

1. Each school has a different policy on out-of-province vs. in-province spots. I don't think that Queen's differentiates between the two, whereas I think Ottawa does (although not to the same degree as Quebec, Maritimes and Alberta do).

2. In Ontario, at minimum you must complete 3 years before starting Med School. Some schools (Western?) require 3 full academic years (5 full-year courses), so you would be okay if you took a full course load in your fourth year. Again, I think it varies by school.

Good luck in the application process. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it all seems like a big blur now that I have finished my second (and final!) application cycle.

;)

bj

Guest Jerika81
is it true that Ontario schools don't separate spots based on out of province and in province students?

I am pretty sure that this is true of all the Ontario schools except for Ottawa. For Ottawa you have to have a VERY high GPA to get an interview if you are out of province, this year it was a 3.9 I believe, and I'm not sure how they would weight your GPA if you are applying during 3rd year. As for the other schools, it doesn't matter what province your from, they look at everyone equally.

Am I eligible to apply to most ontario schools?

I think you are eligible to apply to most Ontario schools, you definitly will be if you apply during your 4th year, but contrary to what bj said, I'm pretty sure you can apply to at least Western and possibly all the other schools during your third year as well provided you have done or will have done their pre-requisite courses.

At Western you need two full time years above their GPA cut-off to get an interview, but this can include your current year, so for you it would have to be your 1st and 3rd year.

Not sure about the specifics for other schools, I'd just look on their websites to find out more details.

Archived