Premed 101 Forums

What are the most competitive residencies?

Hey guys,

I'm curious...what are the most competitive residencies? Like, if you were to rank them. I know that derm, radiology, general surgery, plastics are very competitive. What about pediatrics, psychiatry, pathology, etc? All I know is that IM and Family are not that competitive. It seems like possibly all the rest are quite competitive. Thanks for any input.

Zuck

It depends on what you define competitive to be... have a look at the multitude of statistics available on carms: http://carms.ca/eng/operations_R1stat_2007_e.shtml

The percentage of students matching to their first choice of discipline is likely a good correlate of competitiveness. This year, you can see that plastics, derm, ophthalmology and ENT topped the list this year. All students who wanted pathology (anatomical, heme), medical biochem, medical genetics and PMR matched to their specialty of choice. Family was 97% so not competitive overall (some centres may still be harder to get into though).

The stats vary from year to year, depending on the interests of the applicant pool, obviously.

I know that derm, radiology, general surgery, plastics are very competitive. What about pediatrics, psychiatry, pathology, etc? All I know is that IM and Family are not that competitive.

Hi there,

I agree with the above post, and further to that there seems to be patterns of competitiveness among specialties which are reflected in the match rates. For one, although General Surgery and Internal Medicine were both quite in-demand this year, they aren't perennially competitive specialties. Those which seem to be perennial favourites are some mentioned above, i.e., Derm, Plastics, Optho, ENT and Radiology.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

So, to all of you upstarts, when you start medicine, find a competitive specialty and bolster your application for it. It's easier to work down the ladder than up when CaRMS time rolls around. That is news I wish I had heard when I started, believe me.
Thanks for the sage advice.

Archived