Premed 101 Forums

OMG! What'll I wear?

So at the risk of sounding a little too 'Legally Blonde' (medically blonde?), I was wondering if anyone knows how we are expected to dress for class. I imagine we're expected to look professional when interacting with patients/the public, but is it cool to wear jeans to class? If I show up in sweatpants and a bunnyhug (aka the undergrad uniform) would that be inappropriate?

I realise this is a bit of a trivial question, but it is really nice to finally be accepted and able to think about trivial things for a little while.

So at the risk of sounding a little too 'Legally Blonde' (medically blonde?), I was wondering if anyone knows how we are expected to dress for class. I imagine we're expected to look professional when interacting with patients/the public, but is it cool to wear jeans to class? If I show up in sweatpants and a bunnyhug (aka the undergrad uniform) would that be inappropriate?

I realise this is a bit of a trivial question, but it is really nice to finally be accepted and able to think about trivial things for a little while.

To my understanding, that term is relegated to Sask...LOL. For all those non-Sasks out there, bunnyhug = hoodie = hooded sweatshirt = sweater with a hood.

I LOL everytime I hear that word...*actually laughing out loud*

Whoops, you'd think after 4 years at university in Ontario I would be able to keep the use of that word in check. I guess my excitement at finally coming home made it slip out. Thanks for being my translator Kuantum!

haha if u thought that was a weird one....

ask ppl in sask (esp more rural) what dinner is hehe :)

btw....jeans or whatever u can pull off early in the morning is good enough for classes ! I must say that we have both sides of extremes in our class though hehe ~

when you're shadowing, going to professional skills/clinical, seeing mock/real patients, etc. then dress a bit nicer :P

haha, funny thread! :P

I don't know what the three Joh posted mean... but although I am Alberta born and raised I could mentally translate the first two - we have 'bunnyhug' and 'dinner '(for lunch) in my family too - due to my mom's saskatchewonian-ness...LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Vico might have been a brand of chocolate milk at some point - I just remember seeing the word on the carton.

huck = throw, usually as hard as you can

gibbled = crippled if you're talking about a person, messed up/broken if you're talking about an object

Apparently somebody studied the entymology of gibbled. It turns out it came from a chicken processing plant in Nipawin where this woman always pronounced giblet with a soft "g" (as in george) instead of a hard "g" (as in go). Everyone thought it was pretty funny so they started using the new word a lot. The person studying this found that gibbled was only used in Saskatchewan and California, but the California usage had Saskatchewan roots.

Hows that for useless information taking up space in your brain that should be used to store biochemistry?

Archived