Premed 101 Forums

Applying to US dental schools...forgot why dentist

Hello, I am a 4th year UWO physiology student applying to US dental schools. I was hoping if anyone can give me some pointers on how to write a good personal statement? (not just 'say what you mean' or 'just be ur self' etc...) I was initially clear headed set on dentistry but now that i have to transfer all that into words i am a little lost, and I can't seem to string together any sentences that makes sense. right now im just sitting at home staring into my half written crappy statement and i dunno what to say..is there a better way?

Pls help!@ thanks and goodluck to all.

Kevin

Well I would first brainstorm on a piece of paper (which is more conducive to allowing your creativity to flow), then write "Dentistry" in the middle and think of all the great things you like about the career and any experiences you've had that demonstrate your love for the field. Think of anecdotes, turning points in your life, extracurriculars, mentors...and try to make it so that there is a clear beginning, middle, and conclusion. You should aim to grab the reader's interest while still being genuine. Anecdotes about moments in your life will help to set you apart from the masses, so don't just shoot off a list of your attributes (everyone is already doing that...you need to show proof!). And always have a few people who are strong in english writing to read it over to make sure it flows and makes sense (plus you absolutely CANNOT have ANY typos or grammatical errors).

Hope that helps to get you started :cool:

Archived