Premed 101 Forums

Deferring an acceptance

Assuming you apply early to US schools, and get an early interview and an early acceptance (i guess fall? 2007). Would it be possible to defer the acceptance to may 15 2008 in cause you don't get into Canadian meds in 2007-2008 and tried again to 2008-2009? or is it 1 year after u received ur acceptance is the max time you have?

UMMMM you're confusing me. The current application cycle is for the 2008-2009 school year.

If you are applying now and are accepted in fall 2007, you will be accepted for entry into the US medical program for fall 2008. If you are also applying to Canadian schools at this time then you can withdraw your acceptance at any time. If you withdraw BY May 15 you get your deposit back, otherwise you lose the money but can still withdraw the offer.

If you are asking whether or not you can defer acceptance - i.e. start in fall of 2009 instead of fall 2008 - then I would have to say that most schools would NOT grant that request. You must have a REALLY good reason for wanting to defer...and just to try and get into Canadian schools one more time isnt a good reason.

If you are not willing to start med school in the US in fall 2008, I suggest you save your time and money and not apply this cycle.

UMMMM you're confusing me. The current application cycle is for the 2008-2009 school year.

If you are applying now and are accepted in fall 2007, you will be accepted for entry into the US medical program for fall 2008. If you are also applying to Canadian schools at this time then you can withdraw your acceptance at any time. If you withdraw BY May 15 you get your deposit back, otherwise you lose the money but can still withdraw the offer.

If you are asking whether or not you can defer acceptance - i.e. start in fall of 2009 instead of fall 2008 - then I would have to say that most schools would NOT grant that request. You must have a REALLY good reason for wanting to defer...and just to try and get into Canadian schools one more time isnt a good reason.

If you are not willing to start med school in the US in fall 2008, I suggest you save your time and money and not apply this cycle.

Sorry bout that madz, I meant to say, apply in summer 2007, get accepted in fall 2007. Then wait till med school interviews in canada roll around in winter 2008, and when you don't get those..wait till may 2009 to see if u got in with the second shot.

So you can defer it to the next fall, but you'd have to make ur decision then i guess

i highly doubt you would be allowed to defer and start in 2009 instead of 2008. deferrals are rarely granted.

It did seem odd that they would let you get away with so much considering that your reason is "Ummm im going to make u guys plan b, but do inconvience urself for me", so i questioned whether or not deferals actually refer to entering the class one year later, or whether it was actually deferring 1 year after given your offer of admission. Thanks Madz!

so i questioned whether or not deferals actually refer to entering the class one year later, or whether it was actually deferring 1 year after given your offer of admission. Thanks Madz!

I don't understand what you are saying.....entering the class 1 year later and deferring 1 year after being given your admissions offer is the same thing.:confused:

I don't understand what you are saying.....entering the class 1 year later and deferring 1 year after being given your admissions offer is the same thing.:confused:

OK let me clarify it for you

say I get an acceptance in November of 2007. I assume you start clases next fall of 2008 right?

if the above is true..

then deferring it means not entering class until fall 2009. It wouldn't make sense to defer and enter 2008 because thats when you would have entered anywayz whether you deferred or not? or have i overlooked something?

OK let me clarify it for you

say I get an acceptance in November of 2007. I assume you start clases next fall of 2008 right?

if the above is true..

then deferring it means not entering class until fall 2009.

Yes.

It wouldn't make sense to defer and enter 2008 because thats when you would have entered anywayz whether you deferred or not? or have i overlooked something?

Yes, entering in 2008 is NOT deferring. 2008 entrance is what your acceptance is for. And if you defer that acceptance, you're deferring to 2009 entrance.

Yes.

Yes, entering in 2008 is NOT deferring. 2008 entrance is what your acceptance is for. And if you defer that acceptance, you're deferring to 2009 entrance.

Ok thanks JOCHI!

my other question is, when you defer an acceptance, are you bound to it? ie If you apply and get in for fall 2007 and then defer to get in for 2009, you're not alllowed to apply to canadian schools in 2008, right?

Ahhhh that is what you are saying.. You want to apply.. get a spot... put it in safety so you can re-apply to a Canadian school, while you have that backup spot in the states. Man they should teach direct and clear communications!!!

Yes you can. You are not bound to anything. You will lose your deposit... but I get the feeling you would not mind that. AMCAS has no connection with OMSAS or other Canadian schools.. so they know nothing of what is going on... but you will have to give the school a really good excuse about why you are deferring.. and "I am waiting to hear back from a Canadian school" is not a good one.

Ok I c, but how hard is it to defer an acceptance..is it tough to attain? Can it be done without using dishonest means?

Uhm... well i had a friend who applied for the 2007 cycle... got into Wayne State and one more i forget which one and both agreed to defer for 2 years as she wanted to do a Master's degree...

Had she already started her masters? I know some schools require you to complete your graduate degree if you apply in the middle of it....or maybe Wayne State is an exception....or maybe they defer more readily in the US than in Canada...I never would've thought a med school would grant a deferral for someone who would rather start their masters than start med school.

Had she already started her masters? I know some schools require you to complete your graduate degree if you apply in the middle of it....or maybe Wayne State is an exception....or maybe they defer more readily in the US than in Canada...I never would've thought a med school would grant a deferral for someone who would rather start their masters than start med school.

In another post, JOCHI said that deferance is much more flexible in the US, but don't most schools require you to finish your masters before entering and they don't let you apply if your not going to be expected to finish by the time you enter medz?

yeah.. telling them that you want to re-apply for a canadian school.. will not be acceptable. I think you should decide what you want to do now.. and do it. If you think you would be willing to wait a year and apply for a canadian school.. then do that.. take some time off.. and go do some grown up things... Research is always useful, one year masters (course based is an option), volunteering abroad.. is also an option. One year is not that long... when you compare it to many many many years of doing medicine. Especially if you are 20-23 (like I suspect most people here are)

Its true, but it could serve a few purposes:

If one were to have interviews at US schools, maybe it would be good practice to get a feel for a medz interview and it would be good prep for canadian schools, furthermore it could take some pressure off when walking into a canadian med school interview knowing you have an acceptance already.

I'll wait until someone posts "doctor's should learn to deal with pressure", but personally, I would kind of enjoy the thrill :)

Its true, but it could serve a few purposes:

If one were to have interviews at US schools, maybe it would be good practice to get a feel for a medz interview and it would be good prep for canadian schools, furthermore it could take some pressure off when walking into a canadian med school interview knowing you have an acceptance already.

I'll wait until someone posts "doctor's should learn to deal with pressure", but personally, I would kind of enjoy the thrill :)

Well, the interview format in the US is not the same as in Canada (one-on-one vs MMI), so I don't think it'd be any more useful than a job interview - which won't cost nearly as much to get.

Well, the interview format in the US is not the same as in Canada (one-on-one vs MMI), so I don't think it'd be any more useful than a job interview - which won't cost nearly as much to get.

Most Canadian schools are NOT MMI. Only Mac and Calgary at this point. It's either 2 or 3 interviewers at the same time in Canada, whereas in the US you have two one-on-one interviews.

I found my US interviews helped me prepare for my Canadian ones.

Most Canadian schools are NOT MMI. Only Mac and Calgary at this point. It's either 2 or 3 interviewers at the same time in Canada, whereas in the US you have two one-on-one interviews.

I found my US interviews helped me prepare for my Canadian ones.

Thanks Madz, I figured that they would serve to at least give you a general idea of what to expect.

In another post, JOCHI said that deferance is much more flexible in the US, but don't most schools require you to finish your masters before entering and they don't let you apply if your not going to be expected to finish by the time you enter medz?

I think you are right but I know a student who applied in the second year of his Master's thinking that he would finish in time but unforseen obstacles came up and so he also deferred and this was at U of T 2 years ago. Although now i don't think they allow to defer anymore but i hear as US schools do allow and I have actually personally called a couple and yes they do.

Archived