Premed 101 Forums

WS fiasco

sparky

I got an overall score of 32 and a VR of 12 on the May 11/07 MCAT but my writing sample score was a K. Given that I did well in my undergrad English courses and both essays I wrote for the exam were complete (explained the statement, gave examples, blah blah blah) I'm kind of wondering what happened. (Maybe the essays didn't submit properly?)

I'm going to have that section rescored, but if it comes back as a K again I'm not sure what I should do.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Hmmm, I dunno, I've read some essays on here which were well-written, but the person actually provided examples for something just a LITTLE off from what they needed to describe - and if I spotted it, I'm sure that the MCAT reader who's trying to dock points would spot it, too.

If you got a K, barring a mistake, you must have not addressed some of the tasks - you could be a great writer and write a well-structured essay, but you will not get a good score w/ addressing all 3 tasks.

was your writing clear and legible?

i agree with jochi, you're going to get that kind of score if you didn't answer the tasks T-A-S (thesis, antithesis, synthesis).

man, the princeton review has such a perfect/simple formula for this section. nobody with decent english should do poorly using their strategy!

would u get that kind of score if you didn't do the tasks...i mean the two obvious ones are the for and against...people tend to forget the last. you'd have to do it on both. I mean, that is possible by all means...i'm still curious as to whether you had ever had anyone look over a practice WS of yours. If you did, then I am really suspicious about the score...if you didn't...it's your call. I'd say the 50USD (which is probably almost exactly 50CDN) is worth it over a re-write.

Also, like the person above me mentioned...if your penmanship is worth being given a remedial tutorial by a 1st-grader, then that may have caused that score.

Definitely get it rescored. I dont' know how that is even possible for an english student. That's the kind of score you would get if you were not taking the MCAT seriously.

If it does come back a K, it's a very tough decision whether to rewrite or not. You need to sit down and look at each individual school and their MCAT requirements and weigh your options.

If your in Ontario you would be rejected automatically from U of T, Western and Queen's. That constitutes half of the Ontario medical schools. In that case, my gut feeling would be to rewrite it - as painful as it would be.

I definitely thought I was prepared for that section…I was using the Kaplan book as well as the online stuff from AAMC.

I wasn’t expecting a T based on what I wrote, but a K seems crazy. That means that I pretty much wrote the worst essays out of anyone who took the test that day. It just doesn’t seem right.

I wrote a letter to the MCAT people explaining the situation and requested to have it rescored. I think the chances are slim that it will get sorted out that way….it is starting to look like I’m going to have to re-write. UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Archived