Premed 101 Forums

masters! (can grad courses hurt you)

Note : replying to both of your posts here because they're kind of similar.

You should be able to find the info on each school in the following document : http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf. It includes admission criteria for all Ontario med schools, including how they deal with grad applications. If a school doesn't look at your marks, and you maintain your EC's, I don't think it could hurt you.

Note that for Ottawa, they only look at your grad marks if your undergrad GPA didn't meet the cutoff, so it can't hurt you there.

Good luck!

Western doesn't look at grad GPA, so it can't hurt you there either.

I don't think Queen's looks either.

I think this is worth looking at! Perhaps grad work may be looked at at Queen's when your gpa comes up a little short!

Assessment of Graduate Students (Queens)

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by a subcommittee of the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants.

Applicants must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school;

Marks for undergraduate years must be considered satisfactory or demonstrate a rising trend;

The subcommittee will assess the suitability of the candidates performance and if the graduate degree was completed at an accredited university;

If the subcommittee determines that the applicant is suitable, they will be invited for an interview.

WESTERN:

GRADUATE STUDENTSGraduate students are required to have completed all course requirements for their degrees and their thesis (if required) must be submitted for defense to the examination committee prior to registration in the medical program. Western does not take graduate courses into consideration for the GPA; only undergraduate years are used. Applicants who are currently enrolled in a Masters program are encouraged to make inquiries about our MD/PhD program.

MSc can be helpful at UofT and at Mac (where you get a 0.01 boost to your score)

I think this is worth looking at! Perhaps grad work may be looked at at Queen's when your gpa comes up a little short!

This is exactly what happens at Queens. There is no possible way I made the GPA cut-offs on my undergrad work, but I have a 3.9 in grad school, which is enough to drag my marks from my last years of undergrad into cut-off range...

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
This is exactly what happens at Queens. There is no possible way I made the GPA cut-offs on my undergrad work, but I have a 3.9 in grad school, which is enough to drag my marks from my last years of undergrad into cut-off range...

Cheers!

Hi haiku_guy,

Did you do your grad work at queens? Just curious :)

Archived