Premed 101 Forums

You need very few from that list, and it depends on your learning style. The class of 2009 put together a survey for the class of 2010 about which books we found useful and which were completely useless. Hopefully 2010 will do the same for you, it is really helpful.

I think I only bought a total of 6 books for all of med1 and med2. I bought a medical dictionary in block 1, and then nothing else until block 3 started. Wait until o-week, you will get lots more info about books and there are some raffles and whatnot to win some free textbooks too... as well as used book sales from the med4's

that sounds like if you were to buy everything on the list. I think I spent under 2 grand for both books and equipment for both med1 and med2 combined. (the opthalmoscope/otoscope i bought was most of that cost, most people don't even buy that)

I found that I would buy books when I felt unsure of myself,

thousands and thousands of dollars later, the girls in the bookstore

know me well.

Now that I am finished, my advice to those starting out would

be to invest in a Cecils Essentials, Med Dictionary but that is available on line, as is Harrison Principles of Medicine, and many others, through MD consult and CMA websites.

Also I wish I would have bought a set of BluePrints (Peds/Med/Surg/Psych/Obgyn) right away in Med1/Med2 as the material in BP is not too comprehensive and a good way to review, then I would have made notes in it as I went along, that would help during clerkship when block 1-6 are so history.

And lastly, if you can get your hands on some Isilo books, for PDAs, and Isilo for Windows, you can read a ton of texts right on your computer for very little cost. ;)

With the advice given to me by Jag last year, I spent very little on books and would advise everyone to do the same unless someone else (ie. the military) is paying for them. Since I own very few texts, I'll take the time to list them.

General/Clinical Texts

- Cecils Essentials of Medicine, Atlas of Human Anatomy (Netters), Bates Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, and Essentials of Clinical Examination Handbook

Block 1

- Wikipedia

- Co-ops notes

- Pub Med (fccccccuk no)

Block 2

- Wikipedia

- Co-op notes

Block 3

- The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need

- Pathophysiology of Heart Disease (Lilly)

You can get away not buying Cecils in first year but I found that it was a good reference book when Wikipedia wasn't doing it for me. Plus you can always pretend that you found your information for PR from Cecils rather then telling the truth and saying Wikipedia. I'm sure it'll come in handy in future years.

The Only EKG Book is a great text since it written for really stupid people. If you want to save $50 you can just read the EKG chapter in Lilly's and just borrow the EKG book from the library if you get stuck. Hope that helped.

How good is Manitoba for electronic subscription to the electronic journals?

I hope to resume my studies in Oriental medicine (at least on my own if no classes and such are available) and will look to access some obscure journals. Do you think I'd be able to access them at the school?

My med1 booklist is coincidentally exactly like NRC boy's.

Also, there is a course and resources on oriental and alternative medicine in med2. Alternative medicine is also on one of the block exams in med2 (don't remember which one).

Archived