Premed 101 Forums

"5th Year/Extra year" towards WGPA

Does anyone know information on the "5th year" or extra year of undergrad studies that Ottawa will accept further to an already completed 3 or 4 year degree? My understanding is that they will include this 5th year in the WGPA calculation if it is full-time (at least 4.0 credits), and the year has to be completed with marks available. The website outlines some more information on the "extra year" but says nothing about restrictions on what courses can be taken. I am assuming Ottawa will not consider 1st year or full-time "bird courses", but I am not positive on this. Does anyone know what the restrictions on 5th year/extra year courses are? (ie - 2nd year and above? do they have to lead towards another degree, is it ok to take one upper year bird course in a full course load schedule, etc.)

I don't think there are any restrictions on the courses except for what's on their website. You can probably take all the bird courses/1rst year courses you want. Might not make for a fun year, but I don't think they'll reject you for it at Ottawa

I graduated this May and I am going back as a post-degree student in the fall so I emailed admissions awhile back with the same type of question, this was the reply:

"We only accept years completed in a bachelor's degree, therefore if you do go back to school this fall you must be registered in a program leading to a bachelor's degree if you wish for your studies to count in further application if not accepted this year for the studies starting in September 2008"

Archived