Premed 101 Forums

where should I apply to?

Hi! I was just wondering what schools I should apply to. I took the mcat twice:

I'm worried that my scores aren't competitive enough to get interviews anywhere.

I'm a bit concerned with my MCAT scores, and I will take them again in August. However, I'd like to apply to some schools now. I was told that I should be competitive at middle to low tier schools (I'm not really sure which these are). Schools that I am considering are:

Darmouth

Albany Medical College

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Albert Einstein

Rosalind Franklin

Northwestern

NYMC

Penn State

Saint Louis University

SUNY (upstate)

Tufts

Tulane

University of Chicago

USC

UConn

Vanderbilt

BU

VCU

Wayne State

Which ones do I have a realistic shot at, considering my mediocre MCAT scores, Canadian student status, and my high GPA. It might also be of note that I am a Senator at my university, have planned and participated in two overseas volunteering trips (one in New Orleans), planned frosh week, volunteered in a lab for a summer, and have clinical volunteering placements (ER and physiotherapy clinic)... among other leadership activities..

Your MCAT score is decent and your GPA is very good - you probably have a very good shot of getting multiple interviews. You should be competitive at most of those schools. You should also apply to a few higher tier medical schools to test the waters, your MCAT hinders you in tier 1, but that doesn't mean your file will not be reviewed.

I'm trying to get in here... but I'm afraid that my mcat score is low. I didn't get any interview invites this year, as a third year student.

You didn't get an interview because you applied as a third year student. (only your 9 on the MCAT hinders you at some schools)

Archived