Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone know what the admissions committee looks for in the sketch? (I know it lists on the website what can be included (ie - employment, volunteer activites, extra c's, awards, research etc.. ).. but are there some items that the school is specifically interested in over others? (ie - well rounded individual, perhaps a mix of sporting and artistic background??). What kind of things tend to stand out and are scored 'higher' from Ottawa's viewpoint?

On that note, does anyone know how the sketch is "scored"?

I was told a couple years ago that they like to see what you have done during the school year (i.e. at the same time as attending a full course load). That way they could compare apples to apples. That is all the insight I have, though from looking at my class, they do not seem to have one type of person they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. so activities during the school year, gotcha.

1. Does anyone know how the Auto Sketch is evaluated? Is there a numerical system? It sounds like having a quality sketch is really important in getting chosen for an interview.

2. As far as I understand, once the cut off is made for wgpa, the applicant's sketch is then evaluated to determine if he/she gets an interview. Weighting of the wgpa doesn't matter when being selected for an interview as long as the wgpa cut-off is met. (ie - someone with a 3.86-or whatever the min cutoff is, is just as likely to get an interview as someone with a 4.0, assuming they have equal quality sketches). So.... the sketch is really important! It isn't until after the interview when the wgpa comes back into the picture, and is included in the 90% interview, 10% wgpa score.

Can anyone answer #1 and verify #2??

Archived