Premed 101 Forums

Fun in Vancouver

Hey all,

I'm in Vancouver for an elective, you guys know about things or places to absolutely see in Vancouver (on the odd days I won't be studying after work, how can I say that with a straight face...)?

If I want to go clubbing where are the good places for people in their mid to late 20's?

Any good cheap restaurants, like sushi places I should definitely go to, etc.

Thanks guys!

noncestvrai

I'd also like to know of the "must see/go to" places in vancouver! I'm starting med at ubc this fall.

I've only been in vancouver for a couple of days, but the most interesting places I've been to so far are the kits beach (take advantage of this gorgeous weather!!) and the Richmond night market (lots of cheap yummy foods!)

Robson Street - The Rodeo Drive of Vancouver. Great for shopping, but the people watching is really entertaining from the Red Robins, Starbucks, or Milestones that are along the strip.

Vancouver Aquarium - One of the best, if not the best.

Grouse Mountain / Grouse Grind - A sweet, but expensive, tram ride to the top of the mountain gives you some amazing views of the city. If you're cheap and/or like hiking, you can do the Grouse Grind. It's a great hike, but a little crowded.

Chinatown - Canada's biggest, and it's quite something to explore. It's not exactly in the nicest area of Vancouver, so a daytime trip is recommended.

Stanley Park - All wind damage aside, it's still beautiful. A walk/bike/blade around the seawall is the quintessential Vancouver experience. There's also tons of other stuff to do there.

Vancouver Art Gallery - There's a great European modernist art exhibit going on right now, if that's your thing.

Museum of Anthropology - This is a uniquely west coast museum with lots of great artifacts.

The Beaches - There's lots of them, and they're great in the summer. If you're there at the end of July/early August, the Celebration of Light is an international fireworks competition with better fireworks than most Canada Day celebrations. I'll see you there if you go.

Granville Island - The Granville Island Market is cool to look around. There's a brewery with tours, and there's generally always something going on there.

There's lots more, but I like these ones.

Hey all,

I'm in Vancouver for an elective, you guys know about things or places to absolutely see in Vancouver (on the odd days I won't be studying after work, how can I say that with a straight face...)?

If I want to go clubbing where are the good places for people in their mid to late 20's?

Any good cheap restaurants, like sushi places I should definitely go to, etc.

Thanks guys!

noncestvrai

Check out clubvibes.com for all of the Vancouver nightlife information.

Dinehere.ca is a great place to check out all of the Vancouver restaurants and fine dining. There's a section for sushi and you can organize it by price, quality, etc.

If you're still here July 25, that is the first night of the Celebration of Light fireworks. Absolutely free and downtown. Go early to get yourself a spot on English Bay beach to watch them, or make reservations at the Boathouse to watch from the patio.

There are two awesome and cheap restaurants I know of right on Davie and Burrard: Kadoya (really good sushi) and Stephos (great Greek food for $10/plate -- try the calamari!) Granville street also has a ton of clubs that are good on the weekends.

Sushi is the best in Vancouver, so make sure you eat tonnes of it! My fav spots:

1) Cheap place for all-you-can eat is Robson Sushi, about 3 blocks after all the shopping stores, heading towards Denman St. Price is good, and I like the stuff they offer. A great place to start/end your Robson/Downton shopping.

2) Awesome place I ate at recently when I was back for a visit, on Cambie street and 15th, Shiro. Food was excellent.

3) Takeout: Samurai Sushi, offers good food at great prices. There's two locations, one on Cambie street and 41st and one on Fraiser street and about 49th.

4) Place I was also at this year, on Broadway, between Main and Fraser (near the kingsgate mall, I think). It was a small family-run sushi place and I remember price was great and food was good.

Gee, now I'm hungry...happy eating!

Commercial drive is my favourite neighbourhood. Lots of cheap, good food. There's Rime that serves Turkish food and has live music. Stella's serves all kinds of different beers and yummy tapas. Havana's, the cuban place, has a great padio, and a small theatre and galary inside. The latin quarter is always packed and, on the week-end, also has live music... etc etc. It's a great place to go for a night out.

On July 28th there will also be illuminares, the lantern festival, at trout lake. Hundreds of people go with lanterns, many of which people have built themselves, and the whole park is, well, illuminated.

Then there's Main street. At the intersection of Main and Broadway there's some cool second hand stores, and a great restaurant called slickedy Jim. Around Main and 25th is where a lot of the 'hipsters' live and hang out. There are some cool shops there, too.

As far as big cities go, Vancouver is pretty quiet. It can take some time to find a few spots that you think are cool. But they are out there, just a bit hard to find.

Archived