Premed 101 Forums

Autobigraphical Sketch

Guest UKhunk

Guest UKhunk

For the AutoBiographical Sketch, does anyone know how detalied we're supposed to be? Also, are we really supposed to list ALL of the stuff we did since 16, or only the ones considered to be important? Is there a limit as to how many events we can put? thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

I think the limit is 60 lines to describe your activities since you were 16. The strategy I used was to use a couple of lines to properly describe the most relevant activities (this is fully possible) and then one line for any others I found useful.

Guest PeterHill0501

I completely agree with UWOMED2005...there is plenty of room to list all relevant stuff. I would say that it isn't the quantity either...I received an interview and didn't fully use the space available. I wasn't accepted this year...so my strategy will change for the upcoming application cycle.

I believe I didn't present a balanced enough view of myself...I likely got an interview based on my academic achievements, work experiences and publications. I will be concentrating much more heavily on my EC and Volunteering sections this year.

I would fully support being as elaborate as possible within each one of the sections.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I'm pretty sure there are 48 lines available on the autobiographical sketch. Don't forget that you need to have a verifier for each activity you list.

Best of luck!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Hey --

What do people (particularly current meds students, or those just accepted) think about listing activities from high school? I'm talking about those of us who are standard applicants, applying in our third or fourth year of undergrad.

Will the admissions committees think it's weird if we don't list anything from high school? I'd rather leave stuff out that I consider pretty insignificant (like, being president of a high school club, or a section editor of the yearbook, academic awards, the kind of stuff that virtually everybody has and is superseded by university grades & activities..) Partly I think it's pretty dumb stuff, and partly I don't want to deal with getting verifiers for it.

What do reviewers tend to look at the autobiographical sketch for? Quantity of activities? Continuity? Recent activities?

I'd appreciate any comments, opinions, food for thought, about the role that the autobiographical sketch (as opposed to the supplementary essays that each school wants) plays...

-j

Guest JSS02

I listed high school stuff too. It enabled me to fill up the whole list. Some of them even came up during my interviews. But it's really up to you to decide whether they're sufficiently relevant to include. Since it tells you to include activities from the age of 16, obviously there's nothing wrong with listing high school activities. Unless starting university at the age of 16 is a requirement for getting into med school... BTW, that's not true, don't worry. :)

Best of luck.

I would suggest including your high school activities unless you've been super busy at university and can fill all the spaces with meaningful experiences that you have had during your undergrad experience. When I submitted my application last year I had included experiences from both high school and university because I felt it displayed that I was always an active and well-rounded person. I know that in four of my interviews I was asked and discussed my high school activities to some extent, and I mean, if you have great experiences, flaunt them....its what will make you stand out in a crowd :)

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest question

You say we have 48 lines which you can use to describe each activity?

I just opened an account, and all there is avaliable is literally one line under "Description" for each entry....am I doing something wrong?

Guest JSS02

You have 48 lines TOTAL for all of your activities/awards/etc. combined, not 48 for each. Each entry can be only one line, or at least that was the case last year when I asked OMSAS.

Guest question

Hey Jss02, suppose you volunteered at a hopsital...for the description, Im assuming you put something like "Volunteer, Scarborough General Hospital" and thats it?

Guest JSS02

Yeah, that would be about right. There's not much more room for additional detail. Maybe you try squishing in "ER" or "paediatrics" (or whatever) if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, for the Location are we supposed to put the city or the company/institution? Just want to make sure I maximize the limitd space we have.

Guest JSS02

It doesn't matter either way. I think I put the city sometimes and the institution at others, depending on which one I thought "fit" better for the particular activity. Just put whatever you think helps describe it better.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest peachy3

I'm also putting some other things in formal education .. workshops that I did that involved classes and projects .. they seem to fit better there than anywhere else in the application.

• 1 month later...

Archived