Premed 101 Forums

How are you describing your employment record?

I see you need to provide a verifier for each one in the window....but I'm not sure if I should enter dates of employment? Also, it seems rather weird, but there appears no specific area to list your extracurriculars (just several locations to talk about 3 of them in detail). How are you guys dealing with that?

Hey, on my application I did this:

1. Job (month/year - month/year): brief description. Contact: Name, number, email.

2. Same thing

3. Same thing

I know you don't specifically have a section for extracurricular activities, but I believe you can put down 3 accomplishments, 3 leadership positions, and 3 volunteer positions (?). I'd suggest making all of these sections to look as well rounded as possible, as that'd give the adcom a better idea of you as a whole person and maybe indicate the kinds of extracurricular activities you're involved in.

ALSO, THIS IS HUGE, PAY ATTENTION!

Do NOT just write down something like:

Summer Research Student

Project: "The effect of X on Y"

Description: Performed far western blots on macrophage progenitor isolates. Results were then subjected to multivariate Lorenz quantum statistics.

While this seems like a good description, its not at all. The person reading your file is not necessarily an academic, and very likely does not understand you if you write something like above. (PS, do not try to look up any of what I wrote there, I made it up ;) ). The committee is most interested in what you got out of your work experiences. A better example would be:

Summer Research Student

Project: "The effect of X on Y"

Description: Learned many new lab techniques. Was self-sufficient with minor guidance from my professor. Worked as a research team with other students and technicians.

Another point: You do NOT have to write all of your jobs. Pick 2-4 and describe them WELL. Pick more recent ones if possible, and even if they seem less than glamourous, MAKE them glamourous! Example modified slightly from my app:

Bakery Clerk - X's Bakery

Worked as a member of a team that included bakers, clerks, and other staff. Performed diverse tasks in an often fast-paced environement with little room for mistakes. Was self-motivated to get all tasks done on time.

Bunk ass job in a grocery store suddenly makes me seem pretty good, doesn't it?

One last bit of advice: Preserve those precious characters of space to fit in as much as you can. Instead of "Contact: Jeff Ting, Phone: (780) 787-9898", just put "(Jeff Ting 7807879898). The ad com will figure it out.

Best of luck! :)

Hey Guys,

After talking with Marlene a while back I second Tallguy. There are 5 sections, each marked out of 4 in the EC section, and there were apparently a lot of 0's and 1's this year. They mark the extracurricular/life experience part of your application very tough.

The most important thing is just like Tallguy said, don't just put down what you did and for how long, but also what you got out of the experience in terms of skills/attitudes/personal growth. Best of luck!

Agreed! When I went to an admissions talk given by the ad. officer and someone who previously marked the personal section when I applied, the most important message was to include aspects of the activity that are RELEVANT. Basically, he said don't make the marker have to think about how the activity is applicable, state it.

For example, listing that you worked a managerial position for ten years under leadership may be absolutely worthless for points if you don't list details (how many workers you presided over, qualities required, skills developed that are relevant).

Good Luck!!!!

Archived