Premed 101 Forums

How do US schools look at your GPA?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted your important on how US schools look at GPA. So AMCAS calculates a BCPM (science) gpa and a AO GPA (other) and does some sort of average between the two to give you your overall GPA.

Do schools place more emphasis on the BCPM GPA over the AO GPA?

For me, I have a BCPM GPA of 3.84, however my AO GPA is only 3.55 (didn't take that many "other" courses so its a representation of a low course number with less than stellar grades). My overall GPA is 3.77.

Any thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted your important on how US schools look at GPA. So AMCAS calculates a BCPM (science) gpa and a AO GPA (other) and does some sort of average between the two to give you your overall GPA.

Do schools place more emphasis on the BCPM GPA over the AO GPA?

For me, I have a BCPM GPA of 3.84, however my AO GPA is only 3.55 (didn't take that many "other" courses so its a representation of a low course number with less than stellar grades). My overall GPA is 3.77.

Any thoughts?

they look at OGPA first, then BCPM GPA. AO doesnt even factor really. I had similar GPA's when I entered and I did well in the interview process. Either case the GPA should not stop you from getting accepted. at this point your mcats and interview skills are the things you should be worrying about. and ofcourse getting those secondaries in ASAP.

Archived