Premed 101 Forums

Course load requirement

Does Western require that at least 60% of the current year's course load correspond to the year of study? I'm going into 4th year undergrad, do I need at least 60% of 4th year courses or can this include 3rd year courses as well since they're both considered "senior" level? Can someone clarify Western's requirement on this please?

I believe UofT is the only school that suggests (not requires) that 60% of your courseload be from your year of study. As far as western goes, they ask that you have 2 years with 5 credits each above their 3.7 cutoff. One of these years must be at the senior level, which western defines as 200 or above (at western) or 300 and above elsewhere.

western also does recommend that you have your courses match your level of study. there have been a number of threads on this and i've never been quite clear. basically, it seems as though they don't have to "match" perfectly, they just have to be 3/5 senior if you're in a senior year, but i've seen several people suggest that 2nd year and above are "senior".

what i DO know is that just because of the way my degree works, i had only 1/5 fourth year courses in fourth year, and the rest were 3rd. in third year, i had 2/5 third year and the rest second plus one first year (they weren't bird courses though), and i got in to western!

so i'd say as long as you stick to 3rd and 4th year courses in fourth year, you'll be fine.

Archived