Premed 101 Forums

Second degree GPA & Queen's prereqs

I have a BSc degree and currently working on my second undergraduate degree since I wasn't close to the cutoffs (BA).

I was wondering whether medical admissions committee will consider my gpa from my last degree or both when I am applying? As well, whether I have to repeat credits to meet the requirements for the biological sciences, humanities and physical sciences courses. Or will they just look at my first degree and see that I have completed them but not consider them in my GPA. Reference below.

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions/requirements

If anyone has gone through a similar situation please let me know. thanks.

haven't been in the same situation, but I believe Queen's will look at your cGPA (ie every bloody credit you've ever taken) and compare that to a cutoff (which has been around 3.68). If you meet that... whoopie!! If not, they will look at your most recent 2 years (regardless of whether your prerequisite courses were taken in those years) and compare the GPA from those 2 years to a second higher cutoff (which has been around 3.78). If you meet that, whoopie!! again (and no it doesn't matter which of the two whoopies you get, so long as you get a whoopie).

*** and by whoopie I mean the noise you make when you're happy... not the goldberg type...

I am pretty certain that Mac and McGill look at every single undergrad course you've ever taken in a university, regardless of when or how or what degree. Western (I think it's Western, should double-check 'cause it might be another one) will only look at the second degree. They say something like, "applicants cannot expect us to calculate GPAs from a mix of degrees." So yeah, like so many other things, it varies by school.

oh, and regarding the course requirements - most universities, to my knowledge, will only consider them met if you did them within the past 8-10 years. But again, it varies.

My guess is that if they're recent credits but from a previous degree, they probably count as finished but I wouldn't expect the grades to be factored in at a school that only looks at your most recent degree.

thanks everyone. my gpa was not strong enough to meet cut offs and i finished it fairly recently (2004) and went on to grad school. now im doing a second degree in order to meet the cut offs and im wondering western and queens. western as mentioned above is explicit and state that they will only look at the most recent undergrad degree. queen's has not and ive had difficulty contacting their office. i thought this would not be a busy time but they may be away.

I am pretty certain that Mac and McGill look at every single undergrad course you've ever taken in a university, regardless of when or how or what degree. Western (I think it's Western, should double-check 'cause it might be another one) will only look at the second degree. They say something like, "applicants cannot expect us to calculate GPAs from a mix of degrees." So yeah, like so many other things, it varies by school.

I do not think that is true for McGill since I did the same thing (a second undergrad) and made McGill's cut-off even though I am sure that any GPA calculation that used my first degree marks would have killed my app. Thsy must have only looked at my latest undergrad.

still not really sure if i have to the courses for the requirements for the biological sciences, humanities and physical sciences courses but it seems like if i have them done, they will just check them off as long i meet all the their admission criteria.

I do not think that is true for McGill since I did the same thing (a second undergrad) and made McGill's cut-off even though I am sure that any GPA calculation that used my first degree marks would have killed my app. Thsy must have only looked at my latest undergrad.

Really? Hmm that's good to know. McGill tends to be pretty vague about it on their website. Or maybe they don't have a hard cut-off anyway (i.e. "you need a 3.5 to be competitive," ) and your second degree was so stellar, they decided to overlook the initial disaster? Anyway, interesting.

Archived