Premed 101 Forums

People from Under-serviced Areas

So does anyone that has a GPA close to the cut (3.6) get in?

I would say probably... I was in the CNFS program, which is a bit different, but I wasn't that far from the cutoffs (I think my wGPA was just a bit over 3.7... & I think the cutoffs were 3.4 or 3.5 for us). If your GPA meets or exceeds the cutoff, I'd say apply. I don't think they care much if you have a 3.6, a 3.7 or a 3.8... I don't know, there has been rumors of a 50% wGPA and 50% sketch post-cutoffs, but as far as I know, they're just rumors...as long as you beat the cutoffs, you should be ok GPA-wise.

The sketch is a different story, no one really knows how they mark it. I had filled the 48 spots, but some activities weren't much (ie one day volunteering event, at home yoga practice :P )... I think my sketch was balanced though, with about as many volunteering (hospital & non-hospital), research (a few publications, no 1rst author), EC's (student council, enviro comittee), employment (TA's, RA's, etc) and awards (no major scholarships but many small ones)... I have no idea how it compares to the rest of my class though. However, the few others (only 2!) that I know in med @ Ottawa had also filled the 48 spots... (Obviously, n=3 is much too small to conclude anything from this;) )

Really, there's alot of luck involved in the process, so it's hard to say what someone's odds are. I think applying is the only way to know. I didn't think I stood a chance, but applied just because I figured if I didn't, I'd always wonder. Well, what do you know, turned out to be a good move!

Good luck!

Yah i've been hearing those rumours as well and if they are true its kind of scaring me b/c my wGPA right now is 3.7 and the cutoff for me is 3.6 and competing with those who meet the 3.85 cutoff! I see how you mentioned about research...do you think it matters if your already published or a paper is in preparation? B/c I'm currently working on a paper but don't know if it will be published by October 1st. It might be submitted but thats about it?

Thanks

do you think it matters if your already published or a paper is in preparation? B/c I'm currently working on a paper but don't know if it will be published by October 1st. It might be submitted but thats about it?

Thanks

Unless you're applying through the grad procedure, I don't think it matters much. I mean, I don't actually know, as I haven't been on any admin committees or anything, but it's only one section, and just having stuff there is probably really good if you're an undergrad (I applied during my masters, which would explain the publications). Really, it's the whole picture that matters, I'm sure.

As for the 50%-50%, maybe email the school for more info? I'm really curious about it... If you don't want to do that, then when I move to Ottawa (in about 3 wks) I can check with them in person to satisfy my curiosity & let you guys know :P.

So I emailed them and somehow the assistant dean replied back with his cell number (which kind of shocked me) and so I called him and he just said the way we score is internal policy and hes like even the numbers I stated were incorrect (the cutoffs) and he wouldn't tell me what they do but from what I could understand they for sure take your marks into consideration for your pre-interview score. Which worries me b/c my wGPA is not that high at all!

I am also from an underserviced area, so this interests me as well. My understanding is once the wgpa average is met, everyone has an equal opportunity to obtain an interview - from all applications streams! (ie - French, English, underserviced, aboriginal, etc). Following meeting the cutoffs, the next step is evaluating the sketch...... a good sketch gets you an interview, a poor one, doesn't (regardless of wgpa). It's not until after the interview where the wgpa comes into play again... for the final scoring, which I read was 90% interview, 10% wgpa, but I'm not positive.

well although unconfirmed, I remember one post saying that the g.p.a for the incoming class this year at ottawa was an average 3.93.... if that is the case GPA has to be included pre-interview... that is just my hunch.... if you look at toronto they also have an upper gpa but thats also removing the worst 6 or 8 half courses which I imagine most people applying there would be able to do so.

with a 3.93 I would not be surprised at all if its 50 % interview 50 % sketch however this is still unconfirmed.

already published or a paper is in preparation? B/c I'm currently working on a paper but don't know if it will be published by October 1st. It might be submitted but thats about it?

Thanks

I believe somewhere for Ottawa it says that you can put papers that are either published or submitted (you have to state which of these 2 it is) but not papers in preparation. It's been awhile for me..but something like that comes to mind, so just check it out to be sure.

Yo Phantom... you might want to re-check your 50-50 scoring system. Where did you get that from anyway? I'm pretty sure Ottawa has changed their admissions process from previous years to move away from any 50-50 scoring system. The whole reason why there are minimum wgpa for certain streams is to provide a better opportunity for some applicants to get an interview (like underserviced applicants and aboriginals). Otherwise, what is the point of have different min wgpa's? The reason for why the wgpa avg was so high, is probably because for the English stream (the stream where most of the students are enrolled in) the min in previous years was 3.83 (which is huge!). So that's where the large wgpa avg comes from. As far as getting an interview, check the website. It seems pretty clear - if you make the wgpa cut off, they move on to scoring of your sketch, regardless if your wgpa is 3.6 (min for underserviced) or 4.0.

If anyone knows for sure otherwise, please post a reply.

hey

well the 50/50 seems to be new to last year.... the reason why I am a bit inclined to think that is how they did it as well is that my friend who received an interview last year told me at some presentation on his interview date they said it was 50:50.. I could be totally mistaken and hopefully I am, as a straight cutoff would be my friend

From what the assistant dean told me at admissions it seemed like your wGPA is counted toward the pre-interview score. He wouldn't tell me how much but he when I asked hes like yes we count your wGPA and ABS score we have to b/c we don't look at MCAT. So I didn't really see the advantage of being from a underserviced area!

hey

the reason why I am a bit inclined to think that is how they did it as well is that my friend who received an interview last year told me at some presentation on his interview date they said it was 50:50..

Well, I was at this year's interview session & am pretty sure they said no such thing to our group, anyway.

Well, I was at this year's interview session & am pretty sure they said no such thing to our group, anyway.

There's a lot of confusion about this 50:50 thing, although I was pretty sure it was a 50:50 marking scheme. Nicole Racine gave a presentation to my interview group and she said they were going ahead with 50:50. It's odd that they'd say 2 different things to interviewees in the same year.

I did, but it was with CNFS, not the underserviced applicant program. However, everyone I know around here gets in through CNFS, so I don't even know anyone who applied as an underserviced applicant... I'm sure there are some people with a GPA around 3.7 tho.... I doubt very much that everyone in my class will have pulled a 3.99 ;)

Archived