Premed 101 Forums

AUGUST 9 MCAT Thoughts?

premed11

First off, congrats to all those who are done... don't sweat it now, I'm sure the score reports will be good. (at least I hope they are)

hmmm looks like the feedback about verbal is that it has been pretty long these past few administrations... now I am kinda worried about not finishing the last passage.

btw, does anybody know of peeps who got verbal miracles? :P i.e. scoring like 8's 9's in practice but then a double-digit on the real thing?...

ya I think you know where I'm going with that one ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've slacked off for almost an ENTIRE month after writing MCAT...that's not good, right? Haven't touched applications, slept for hours after work, and write stories/watch dramas/TV during my time off. I guess the way I see it, if I get something like a 6 for VR (who knows, I felt like I flunked it and Wednesday I shall confirm this), there's no point in applying to U of T, Western, or Queens. My GPA can't meet cut-offs for Ottawa, and I'm not in a rural area, so that leaves me with Mac. I figure I can get Mac done.

If I managed to beat MCAT, then I will have all this positive energy to guide me through applications. Because all this uncertainty right now isn't giving me inspiration to do any application work. Either way on Wednesday, I'll have a better idea of where I stand and what to do next.

Topics included diabetes (physiological associations), immunological response, promoter bashing (although they didn't call it this - i.e. molecular genetics), biochemistry :D booyakah, typical orgo topics (random IR spec question) and that's about it...

hmm i dont recall any diabetes passage... or much physio in that matter.. :confused:

Hmm, maybe we had different bio.. I had a whole passage dedicated to diabetes mellitus and its short and longterm effects.

really!! i had nothing like that! i would have loved that.. damn it... i worked a whole summer on diabetes! :(

I've slacked off for almost an ENTIRE month after writing MCAT...that's not good, right? Haven't touched applications, slept for hours after work, and write stories/watch dramas/TV during my time off. I guess the way I see it, if I get something like a 6 for VR (who knows, I felt like I flunked it and Wednesday I shall confirm this), there's no point in applying to U of T, Western, or Queens. My GPA can't meet cut-offs for Ottawa, and I'm not in a rural area, so that leaves me with Mac. I figure I can get Mac done.

If I managed to beat MCAT, then I will have all this positive energy to guide me through applications. Because all this uncertainty right now isn't giving me inspiration to do any application work. Either way on Wednesday, I'll have a better idea of where I stand and what to do next.

Don't let the MCAT get you down. It's one test, you can do it again, and there's really no point in focusing on things that are in the past. I honestly think the MCAT is more so a test of your ability to cope mentally. If you intend on studying medicine, you have to maintain a more positive attitude. It's not the end of the world.

I wrote yesterday at bloor 8 am..

I had the same test as that retrovirus inhibition thing, that passage was confusing as hell....I must have spent the last 10 minutes on it and still ended up guessing the answers. It wasn't an MCAT-style passage. There were other few questions I am not sure about.

VR....I don't know. If I did the same VR at home I could have done much better. But just under test pressure I think I have got many of them wrong. And found it long as well. Marked questions and did not have time to go back and check them.

PS was okay, not so easy. Again, a few questions (transition metal complexes) were tricky, so not sure about them.

The test was harder than practice AAMC ones. I usually had about 15 mins left at the end of all PS and BS in the practice AAMCs. But in this one only had 5 mins left, which I thought was not enough for me and so did not bother going back to the questions. The passages were longer than practice AAMC.

By the way, how does the scaling work? I know the tests are pre-scaled according to the diffculty level. But I am sure the actual results dont match their predicted results. What if the entire pool ends up doing a little worse than the "projected" scores? Do they scale accordingly?

Are you attending the Willis College location? If so, I thought the people were very nice, the testing rooms themselves were ok, essentially just a computer lab. 3/4 of the computer seats were empty, so it was quiet. We also received those big anti-noise ear muffs. Overall, I have zero complaints about the location itself.

Hey, congrats guys :)

Anyways, I have a question for you: I know some people said that if they showed up early the proctors let them start early, but what if you show up late? I mean, I'm not planning on showing up late next week but what if you get into a freak accident and get there at 8:30, will they still let you start? do they cut you off at 1:30 pm sharp?

I thought the ottawa site was pretty good..There were around 5 rooms...each had around 5 people..there was a big space and one proctor was in each room..we got ear muffs, enough paper, pencils etc

and the washrooms are closeby at willis college..so its good..not much noise or anything..its nice and small

About getting there..I am the kind who gets everywhere super early..so i was there at around 11, 11:30 for my 1:30 exam..But it was a good thing because i got to register first and i just went out, sat on the chairs and was reviewing..i came back at 12 and there was a big line up pf people waiting..i was relieved that i am done..Also, i got the room where there are 5 people instead of 7..

You will then get to start your test on time and not later..I think a negative point of starting later on is that while ur doing ur verbal..people are doing the writing sample which can be annoying especially for verbal

So moral of the long essay: Be there relatively early, it wont harm you, it can only benefit you:)

Good luck

I wrote the MCAT yesterday and though the verbal was really long and hard. On top of that, I was annoyed the Bio was too much of a verbal test than an application of what we studied for the past several months. I don't think I've done a mock that had questions relying that heavily on what the passage stated rather than an application to the passage based on outside knowledge.

Anyways, did anyone get a question on the physical sciences part that asked a random question (it was the last question on the 3rd last passage I believe) asking about light waves being absorbed by a compund that was blue, and another compund reflecting another light wave? The answers were a combination of the size of frequency and wavelength. I found nothing in the passage that even talked about light waves being reflected or absorbed, and this question just randomly stated facts and made us guess what had happened by filling in gaps.

Hey, congrats guys :)

Anyways, I have a question for you: I know some people said that if they showed up early the proctors let them start early, but what if you show up late? I mean, I'm not planning on showing up late next week but what if you get into a freak accident and get there at 8:30, will they still let you start? do they cut you off at 1:30 pm sharp?

Our test centre was still signing people in past 1:30. I think it was more an effect of volume, rather than people coming in late.

I'd say PS was relatively the same, verbal wasn't which was the hardest part, and BS hmm it definitely was a bit harder in my opinion but that might be compiled with the fact that I suck at physio and there was quite a bit of it on mine.

i woould LOVE physio and MBIO...mmmm mmbio mmmm donuts

I didn't think knowing either really helped in answering the majority of the questions. Most of the answers had to be picked away from the passage (same as VR).

The quesitons where you have to pick away at the passage are the gayest. I think TPR and Kaplan like those. Pity for me since I'm EK, which is all about let the details slide.

Oh, Radhika and THX, thanks for the clear response on the Ottawa test site guys. Really appreciate it. Hope yous get the scores yous want! :P

Oh one last thing... since we're writing at the same place... what exactly did you bring with you for registrartion, ID, etc. Anything else you can share, please? tanks.

The quesitons where you have to pick away at the passage are the gayest. I think TPR and Kaplan like those. Pity for me since I'm EK, which is all about let the details slide.

Oh, Radhika and THX, thanks for the clear response on the Ottawa test site guys. Really appreciate it. Hope yous get the scores yous want! :P

Oh one last thing... since we're writing at the same place... what exactly did you bring with you for registrartion, ID, etc. Anything else you can share, please? tanks.

No problem..would love to help:)..

All you need is ur valid license.They preferred that...So all u need is G1/G2..as soon as u enter they are going to ask for that..they will take ur fingerprints....u sign on a paper....they give u a big plastic bag where u keep ur stuff and then u go in the room at around 1:15 or so..At every break..if ur taking one that is..u need to show the id again and take another fingerprint- sign out and sign back in..Ull get a plastic tag with ur seat number around ur neck...Thats abt it...Get gatorade and nutri bars, bananas whatever..Thats it i guess:)

Archived