Premed 101 Forums

is it too late to apply for US med schools

graceoO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3.5 at U of T

I don't think it makes sense to apply that late with a low GPA. If you had like a 3.8+, I'd say give it a shot, but with low stats, it'd just be a waste of $$$ and energy (it is a VERY laborious process, much more so than Canadian applications). Just wait till next year.

i got big family issues:( cant afford to sit back one whole year..hell no, i cant...im just goin to apply,im doomed anywayz but lets hope for the best

I would have also said wait till next year and you'll have time to make yourself a very very strong applicant, but....If your mind is set, just do it man. The decision is made so dont hold back. Hope it all goes great. Its good that your scores are >35. Nice!

So here what you should do now...

-Get your transcript sent to AMCAS TODAY. Yes, TODAY.

-Ask for some LORs TODAY-- 2 science profs (who had you in class), 1 non-science prof (who had you in class)

-Write your PS tonight, give it a week (max) for editing by peeps you can trust, and while theyre doing that, decide on the schools you want to apply to

-Submit primary

-While you wait to get verified, get the prompts for your secondaries of interest from SDN, and fill em out, but dont submit them until youre asked to

If anything comes up, just let us know. :D

amazon is okay, but we cant buy it from any local bookstores like indigo , right?

i mean u'd have to order it online?

have you tried your school's academic advising/career centre? they usually carry a copy. it probably wont be the latest edition, but hey, it's free.

when filling in your transcript on amcas, they ask if you want to be considered disadvantaged for any reason.

the only reason i think i would consider myself disadvantaged is because i come from a background where i was totally controlled by people in my family and that has lot to do with me not getting involved enough in school/college life since it was looked down upon. and i really do think that such circumstances have greatly reduced my chances of getting in, i mean i would have had a great application if i was allowed to do certain things. do u think i should mention all this? and tell them to consider me disadvantaged?

plz dont laugh lol, i really need your help, have been sleeping under a rock

when filling in your transcript on amcas, they ask if you want to be considered disadvantaged for any reason.

the only reason i think i would consider myself disadvantaged is because i come from a background where i was totally controlled by people in my family and that has lot to do with me not getting involved enough in school/college life since it was looked down upon. and i really do think that such circumstances have greatly reduced my chances of getting in, i mean i would have had a great application if i was allowed to do certain things. do u think i should mention all this? and tell them to consider me disadvantaged?

I don't think this qualifies as disadvantaged. Stories you read on SDN really put this into perspective - people with parents addicted to heroin, having to work full-time to pay all the household bills on their own at age 16 because their deadbeat parents just snort coke all day, people jumping from one foster home to another starting with age 4, refugees, etc.

plain and simple answer to your question: NO dont mention this.

how do you calculate credit hours? for half courses and full year courses

dont worry about credit hours. i just filled it in as 0.5/1.0 for half/full year courses (exactly how it is on my transcript) and AMCAS took care of the rest.

generally 3 credit hours is half year, 6 credit hours is full year. similarly, some schools use the 4/8 system where 4=half year, 8=full year.

Okay. I'm plan on applying to 4 or 5 US medical schools and I am just starting to set up my AMCAS now :S I know it's late...that darn MCAT took my summer away (lol)....I wrote August 16th, so I won't get my scores until the end of September. If I am correct....there would be no point in applying to a school that has a deadline in October (i.e. Oct 15th), right? Would I made the deadlines in Nov and Dec? Thanks so much!

Okay. I'm plan on applying to 4 or 5 US medical schools and I am just starting to set up my AMCAS now :S I know it's late...that darn MCAT took my summer away (lol)....I wrote August 16th, so I won't get my scores until the end of September. If I am correct....there would be no point in applying to a school that has a deadline in October (i.e. Oct 15th), right? Would I made the deadlines in Nov and Dec? Thanks so much!

I wouldn't apply, period. If you don't get in this cycle, you will always have to say that you applied previously, which never looks good, even though you only applied to 4 schools. Its best to just go all out ONCE.

Not to mention, doing a primary now is pretty much asking for wait-list spots.

Do you have appropriate LORs? Check out the responses other people have given for people in similar situation to yours. That should give you some idea of what to do....

I have a low gpa because of my first year (3.4) and waiting to get my results for the mcat. I do believe i have strong EC's with research and stuff but would i still be competitive at top schools with low gpa? If so, what kind of MCAT score would I need?

As suggested before, I am just going to hold out from applying this year since I am late and just concentrate on some Canadian schools only. But if i don't get in anywhere this year, I would just like to be ready to apply to AMCAS next year with a good application. Any advice would be helpful.

This forum has been great to help me familiarize myself with the American system.

If u're nor applying this year, then use the time to create a perfected AMCAS essay. knock their socks off!

what constitutes as a "perfected" AMCAS essay? I did read a couple of books on essays that will get you into medical school. They do help a bit but the sample essays are of clients who are already well qualified. I wonder how many of them had low gpa's and used essay to make their application look more appealing.

Any ideas as to what MCAT score might be competitive at some of the top schools wit 3.4 gpa? Or is it a VERY long shot

Not to mention, doing a primary now is pretty much asking for wait-list spots.

for all of those worried, i think this comment is a bit of a generalization. it really depends on the applicant/school. i had a few interviews in the states and i was complete very late (early dec)..submitted my primary october 16th (once i got my mcat scores)..but was accepted/waitlisted (but withdrew) from some US schools.

would i have applied earlier if i had to do it again? absolutely. it is getting late, but its definitely not over in august. just get on those secondaries right away...then you can focus on all your canadian apps. i did it the other way aroudn (focused on canada, and then US...since it was my back up). applying early not only would have helped my application, it also reduces the stress/anxiety, esp if you get an acceptance earlier than may 15th!

I haven't set up amcas yet and I won't get my scores until october 7th :D but I am still aplying to wayne, suny and MSU, my gpa is 3.80s and my mcat score is looking around low 30s but im still going to give it a shot..so its all depending on ur stats kingirl!!

I haven't set up amcas yet and I won't get my scores until october 7th :D but I am still aplying to wayne, suny and MSU, my gpa is 3.80s and my mcat score is looking around low 30s but im still going to give it a shot..so its all depending on ur stats kingirl!!

make sure you'll be complete on oct 7th - all references, essays, fees etc.

thanks for the encouragement. I am currently working my butt off on the personal statement and the rest of the applications. I may be blind, but for the primary apps, I couldn't find a link on my AMCAS that shows I need references from people. I am going to my university tomorrow to talk to some of my profs and I can't find a reference for the American schools...:confused: Are the references due for the secondaries (sorry if this is a stupid questions...I'm all new to the American system) Thanks sooo much!

thanks for the encouragement. I am currently working my butt off on the personal statement and the rest of the applications. I may be blind, but for the primary apps, I couldn't find a link on my AMCAS that shows I need references from people. I am going to my university tomorrow to talk to some of my profs and I can't find a reference for the American schools...:confused: Are the references due for the secondaries (sorry if this is a stupid questions...I'm all new to the American system) Thanks sooo much!

Yeah, all the references are for secondaries.

Archived