Premed 101 Forums

MCAT scores

Guest premed81

Guest premed81

Hello,

I have a question about MCAT scores. I just did the August 2003 MCAT. I know that with American schools, the MCAT scores are automatically sent to the schools you applied to. However, with Canadian schools, I'm presuming we have to request that MCAT scores be sent. If so, should I make the request now before I've submitted my OMSAS app or other Canadian school app.? What did other people do? Keep in mind, I think this year is the first year where AAMC allows you to request MCAT scores release through the website and it's free of charge. Would appreciate ANY HELP, because I'm kind of confused. Thanks.

Did you not fill out a score release form when you wrote the MCAT? If you did, then they would send your scores to whomever you released them to when the marks come out. I wouldn't recommend waiting too long to release your scores. If you wait until you receive them, it will still take awhile for them to arrive at the OMSAS office and wherever else you would like to send them. I think I got my scores last year around Oct. 5 and OMSAS apps are due around Oct. 15.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there premed81,

MCAT scores, (as of this year, I believe) may be ordered on-line, directly through the AAMC. Last year, the August MCAT scores became available electronically, a couple of weeks before the OMSAS application due date, so it was not uncommon for some people not to apply (or to apply, in the case of Ottawa and McMaster) to certain Ontario universities once they determined that they did not meet a given university's MCAT cut-off.

One approach you could take is to order the MCAT scores from the AAMC now, to be sent to OMSAS. Once the scores become visible online, you can then decide whether or not to spend the additional money for the schools that have strict and specific MCAT cut-offs. As to other Canadian schools that have deadlines that fall before the MCAT score release date, e.g., UBC and their Oct. 1st deadline, that's another kettle of fish. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived